SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good instructions for replacing the power steering pump. This is my first saab. It is a 96 900S 4cyl non-turbo. I've owned it for bout 1 week and today the pump starting leaking all over the place.

Hopefully its not too bad. Luckily its right on top.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I swapped pumps a couple times, and the instructions was one of the things I was working on when life got in the way, so to speak. I will have them online by the end of the evening.

The pump is not that unique, I got mine from AGR Performance in Texas, for about $130, rebuilt to better than factory specs, using high temp parts, and a higher flow rate valve.
It is not a difficult job. However, as EW said, make sure it is the pump... :cheesy:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re: pwr steering pump

The Support here is awesome. Thanks.

When I realized the leak I was close to home so I drove the car onto some ramps, got underneath and cleaned and dried evrything and then cleaned some more. I then started the car and no leak. i turned on the ac and nothing. The fluid was all over the passenger side. even the hoodliner was soaked from where the belt had spun the fluid. By the way it was red. I had the wife start turning the wheel and then the leak started again. Pouring. It was coming from the bottom side of the pump and leaking onto the belt and everything underneath. I ordered another pump today ($200-reman)which will be in tomorrow.

About the fluid. The fluid in here is red and I checked my owners manual and all it says is "GM Power Steering Fluid" 3.5 turns lock to lock, power assisted rack and pinion

Isthe fluid supposed to be green? Where can I get some locally? What type should I reference?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Give this a shot. Needs a few more details, which is why I have not posted it before, but most of it is there.

Power Steering Pump Replacement

Hydraulic fluid is basically a clear oil, which can be any color depending on what kind of dye is added to it. The original fluid in a '96 was red-ish.

I replaced mine with a higher grade (high temp) synthetic fluid, but that was for my own reasons, not because it is required. "GM" power steering fluid from any part store will do just fine on a '96 model, after all, it lasted 10+ years in your car... Later years used a different fluid.

Use latex or viny gloves handling hydraulic fluid, and don't leave it all over the car, and especially not the rubber belt. It's nasty stuff.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pwr steering pump

Thanx for the link. I ordered a haynes and was hoping it would arrive before any issues but no such luck.

Next week I will be replacing the rotors and brakes. The brakes arent too low but theres no "grab" when I hit the brakes. Its as if the pads are too smooth.
Any suprises with this?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow PMI! Your write up are the bomb! I love them! ;) Thanks for spreading the wealth, so to speak! It's funny, because the other day, in real estate class, we learned an acronym, and it was PMI, or Primary Mortgage Insurance, it instantly reminded me of you. Keep up the good work and thanks!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
nkotbox said:
Any suprises with this?
Not really.

Most people have a little trouble with rusted set screws, the first time around. An impact screwdriver comes in handy, or if not, at least tap a new bit with nice sharp edges into the set screw with a hammer (lightly) to help break the rust if any. A lot of the smaller torx bolt heads get stripped b/c people use an old (or cheap) torx bit.

The caliper guide bolts on the front are recessed in a sleeve, and you cannot see the head until you take the bolt out. On the '96 model the head takes a 7-mm hex bit. Some people assume it is a torx bit, and screw up the heads.

On the rear brakes, the adjuster for the handbrake shoes, which are inside the rotor "hat" usually has to be backed off to remove the rotor, and then reset correctly after the brakes are installed, to make sure the shoes do not ride the inside of the rotor and wear out.

If you have the time, (you have to raise the car anyway to do the brakes), I would suggest taking a little more to remove the front air shields from under the car. Without that, you can't clean all the p/s fluid that leaked out, or inspect the p/s cooling line, which runs under the front of the car below the oil cooler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pwr steering pump

Well the job was a success. Thanx to all. Two things to note:

1 I had to remove the 2 top bolts of the mounting bracket and loosen the bottom opne in order to get enough clearance to remove the top pwr steering pump mounting bolt.(metal tubing in my way)

2nd after reading all the replys and noting the replacement pump from AGR I did a quick search at autozone and found the pump for a 96 jeep wrangler 4wd. It appears exactly the same for $90 less than autozones price on the saab pump.

Agr / Power Steering Pump - Performance
for a 1996 Jeep Wrangler 4WD

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
We will have to make up a parts interchangeability list..Motor vehicles are so international now.. Parts that fit Jeep(DaimlerChrysler) can also fit Saab.....amazing..and it could well be a German part....

And there will be much more of this international parts interchangibility..(IPI)...The Mustang fuel pump fits Saab.. must be a Walbro unit....

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
nkotbox said:
2nd after reading all the replys and noting the replacement pump from AGR I did a quick search at autozone and found the pump for a 96 jeep wrangler 4wd. It appears exactly the same for $90 less than autozones price on the saab pump...
The pump housing may be the same, but the pressure and flow control valve may not be.

I tried to get up some interest in replumbing the whole leaky mess of p/s system, but at the time there was little interest. Some of the information I posted is still here in old threads.

We have a pump which has identical specs to some models of Chevy Cavalier. I am sure there are other cars also, but unless you check the pressure ratings, there is no way to tell for sure.

If you ask them, AGR will remanufacture the Saab pump to the Saab spec, with better internal parts than our stock pump, and definitely better than the typical offshore remaned units. That is basically what they did for me, for around $125-130, if I remember right.

earthworm said:
We will have to make up a parts interchangeability list...
Ditto to that! It is ridiculous to pay inflated prices for commonly available parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pwr steering

Will this list be a sticky in the forum. I may need a master cylinder and would like to find a replacement because the cheapest reman is $288.00

1 - 13 of 13 Posts