SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past couple months I have noticed the PS has been overflowing which is a sign of the seal going to the camshaft needing replacement. So this weekend I had a chance to dig into it.

Leaking down the front of the bell housing

Takes about 30 minutes to do the job. First part is to pull the battery to gain access to the two 13mm bolts holding the pump in.

Then remove banjo bolt

Then remove return line and use some pliers to prevent leaking everywhere.

Remove two 13mm bolts and slide pump off. This helps if you have some rags under it on the transmission to not make a mess.

Remove old seal, I used a couple screw drivers to pry it out with good success.

Tap in new seal after lubricating shaft seal area to prevent ripping

Reinstall

·
Registered
907 Posts
Good pics. Also keep in mind that there's an o-ring between the reservoir and pump that can fail as well. It's not listed as a replacement part but once you remove it you can find one at your local auto parts store in their o-ring kit.

To remove the reservoir you must slide off two metal clips: one on top and one below. The top one is visible in photo #4 above, just to the right of the banjo bolt. It's easier to remove the clips while the pump is installed on the engine. Separate the reservoir from the pump and you'll see the 1" or so o-ring. I thought my pump seal was bad but it turned out to be just the o-ring. It's not under any pressure other than from gravity.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great addition Steve ;ol;

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Course you do,it's contaminated with engine oil..

x2

Flushing then running for a couple hundred miles then flushing again is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Put new fluid in the tank and plug the return opening, insert the return hose into a bottle to discard old fluid, start the car and turn the steering once to the left and once to the right quickly.
Somebody might have to add fluid really quick during the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts