SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
92 900 16V Turbo........my power steering went out (very quickly). I climbed under her and noticed a leak coming from the aluminum hose. The fitting feels to be tight but still leaks. Would this be the case of seal gone bad in the pump?

Any ideas on how to fix or do I just need to replace the pump?

Thanks in advance====RN

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
There's not enough information to offer an opinion, or even a guess.
Is the belt OK? Is there fluid in it? Does it make funny noises? Harmonic Balancer OK? Any previous problems, leaks, noises? Hot? Cold? While turning? Fluid color? New parts?
Help us out a little.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The belt appears to be ok. I have had none of the problems you mentioned except a couple of weeks ago I have been hearing what sounds like a loose belt right after I crank her up but it immediately stops seconds after running. Like I said the belt appears to be in good shape and tight. No leaks, no new parts and the balancer was replaced about a year or so ago. Everything was working fine until the other day. I was idling in 100+ degrees outside temp while waiting to pick up a friend. Once down the road, this is when I noticed I was losing my power steering. Got her home and the reservoir was completely empty.

Hope this helps===rn

There's not enough information to offer an opinion, or even a guess.
Is the belt OK? Is there fluid in it? Does it make funny noises? Harmonic Balancer OK? Any previous problems, leaks, noises? Hot? Cold? While turning? Fluid color? New parts?
Help us out a little.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Then you need to find out where the fluid went. Did you fill it up? Did the fluid stay in?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If you are referring to the steel hose coming out the pump, there is three sections of it, one comes out the pump then connects to the next section, above the left engine mount. Then from there it connects to a high pressure rubber hose, that then connects to a steel hose, then to another fitting and steel hose, then into the rack... If it is coming out the first pipe where it connects to the power steering pump, there is an O ring in there that can fail if overtightened, or if the fitting is loose.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I replaced both hoses- from pump to rack and return hose- on my 8V which solved my PS leak issue. many people on here recommend you gt a place who make hydrolic hoses to make you up a set instead of buying them from an auto parts place. They say they hold up much better.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
That's a picture of the steering rack pinion shaft. there are replaceable seals in there but replacement seals often fail, often the housing is worn and will damage the new seals. Overhauling the rack is very tricky, I recommend replacing the whole steering rack unless you're very confident of your skills.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
There are lots of places that oil can leak out from the pump. best clean it and actually pinpoint what part it is leaking from. The o ring i am talking about goes on the high pressure line, in that picture, the fitting at the bottom.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correct!! That is where the leak is coming from. Once you turn the wheel, it really starts to flow.

There are lots of places that oil can leak out from the pump. best clean it and actually pinpoint what part it is leaking from. The o ring i am talking about goes on the high pressure line, in that picture, the fitting at the bottom.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
I looked again, more carefully this time. I mistook the the pump for the rack. Sorry.
It's rare that an O-ring fails all by itself, but you don't need to buy it by part number. Almost any decent auto parts store can match it up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the o-ring out last night. Just to make sure before I head to the parts store, is there only one o-ring or two? I only saw one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the o-ring replaced. No leak!!!! Now we'll wait and see..........

Thanks again for all your help====rn

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't have to remove the pump. My problem was in the steel line connected to the pump. I managed to get my hands in there without removing the pump.

Could you manage to separate the pulley easily, or did you use the Saab special tool ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts