SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Lately I can't help but notice what appears to be a leak by the power steering fluid container. I don't remember this being on the list of known 2003 issues. Does anybody else have this? I've actually had the dealership tell me that it could be leaking into the Oil container.

See the attached photo to see the greasy mess that has started to attract dirt.

Should this be considered a stop-drop-and-roll type of concern? If anybody has had this problem and has rectified it, what was your resolution?

Best regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
This often means simply that the reservoir was overfilled, perhaps by a "quick shop" place that does us no favors by "topping off" the fluids with generic and cheap fluids. The SAAB requires special power steering fluid, not the cheap and easy to find stuff.

It might be worth draining and refilling the fluid.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Although overfilling would cause this it is doubtful. 2003's are notorious for this problem. That is caused by a bad seal on your power steering pump. Thats a mix of engine oil and power steering fluid. Go get yourself a pump and Search for "Power Steering Pump Replacement".

Good Luck
Jeff

·
Registered
568 Posts
Although overfilling would cause this it is doubtful. 2003's are notorious for this problem. That is caused by a bad seal on your power steering pump. Thats a mix of engine oil and power steering fluid. Go get yourself a pump and Search for "Power Steering Pump Replacement".

Good Luck
Jeff
That is exactly the problem. Keep a close eye on your engine oil level and you'll notice it decreasing while the power steering fluid will be rising. I repaired this same problem on a client's 2003 in the shop this week. The power steering pump is driven by the camshaft. The camshaft end bearing is lubricated by an oil passage, the seal on the pump shaft is exposed to oil pressure (odd design) and when the seal begins to wear out the oil pressure forces engine oil into the power steering pump housing and then into the rack and pinion and lines.

Your shop or dealer will probably recommend a new or reconditioned pump. This is not always needed. The leaking seal is cheap and easy to replace, if you ask for just the seal you'll save a bunch of $$. You'll also need to flush the system and refill to remove as much engine oil from the rack and fluid lines as possible.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
when you take off a cap seal, the seal must be very clean to assure the pressure leak.

just clean the seal and make sure of a good lock. do not force pressing the cap in the reservoir.

oil steering is for long-life......... not necessary to change.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Your shop or dealer will probably recommend a new or reconditioned pump. This is not always needed. The leaking seal is cheap and easy to replace, if you ask for just the seal you'll save a bunch of $$. You'll also need to flush the system and refill to remove as much engine oil from the rack and fluid lines as possible.
Mines been leaking for a bit now too. do you know specs on the seal, dimensions, or part number?

·
Registered
367 Posts
This happened to my 2004 Aero 2 weeks after I bought it, i got my car from a cheapo stealership so he was not much help. Went to his mechanic he said it was just overfilled. I went home removed the extra fluid from the pump and bingo could see into the engine right from the resvoir. Made the dealer pay half cost on part as his retard mechanic did not know what it was and made me miss my warranty. Replacing was a snap and its been all better now. I did not get "all" of the oil mixed steering fluid out but I got enough where its hard to tell and have had no problems.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mines been leaking for a bit now too. do you know specs on the seal, dimensions, or part number?
I don't know it off hand. I may be able to find out Monday at the shop. If you're mechanically inclined you can remove the pump and take a look at the seal yourself.

It is fairly easy to remove. Put a catch pan under the car to catch the fluid that will fall. Remove the banjo bolt on top of the pump that holds the pressure line in place, one swift firm motion should crack it loose. Don't loose the metal o-rings, there are two. Disconnect the single wire terminal from the pump by pulling up on it. Next, remove the return hose near the bottom right of the reservoir. Use pliers to squeeze the clamp and slide it down the hose a bit. Now use a long flat screwdriver to pry it off, be careful at this point not to force too hard on the plastic.

Now there remains just 2 bolts to remove the pump. One is on top and easy to see. The other is a bit trickier to get to. Use a 3 inch extension on your ratchet and you'll be able to get at it from the behind the reservoir.

Once the pump is out you'll see why it's leaking. Take a good look at the shaft and you'll probably see the seal is cracked or missing rubber around the shaft. You also should see the part # stamped into the seal. If you can't find the part # then you'll have to make some calls or check your local parts stores for info on finding the new seal. The price for a rebuilt unit here runs over $300 and the seal costs about $10 so you can see the benefit of doing some research.

Before you refill you'll want to get all that old bad oil out of the system. Jack the front wheels of the car and while the pump is disconnected turn the steering all the way, lock to lock, until no more fluid comes from the lines. Now you're ready to reinstall the repaired or new pump and refill.

Good luck.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thanks for tips badbrains, especially on howto clear out the old fluid, do you have the procedure for bleeding too? If u woulndt mind looking for the part# Monday, that'd be cool. Thx
I will take a look, although I fear the old part may have ended up in the trash and I don't want to remove the pump to check as the client is picking up the car Monday afternoon.

As far as bleeding, install the pump, leave the front wheels jacked, fill the reservoir and start the car. Turn the steering back and forth about 10 times and add fluid as needed. I usually stop the engine and let the bubbles work their way up and then do it again. That's it. Drive the car and recheck the level once more.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If somebody is can provide the exact measurement of the seal I think I can source it from the rebuilder.

I would need inside diameter, outside diameter and width. In inches, please.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So I did a quick search and found that member Bjorg had successfully replaced only the gasket. He posted two slighty different size (off by .1mm) and not sure which one he ended up using, but still two of these are way cheaper than a new one of those!

These are the dimensions, one of them should work.
17x29,9x7, 17x30x7

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
holy confusing batman!

I've looked around for the seals on a few websites and man there's alot more to it then just dimension. I'm not an ME so I have no clue what profile, material, type, etc to choose.

Anyone have any real knowledge of seals who would like to chime in?? At least an educated suggestion would help.

·
Registered
568 Posts
So I did a quick search and found that member Bjorg had successfully replaced only the gasket. He posted two slighty different size (off by .1mm) and not sure which one he ended up using, but still two of these are way cheaper than a new one of those!

These are the dimensions, one of them should work.
17x29,9x7, 17x30x7
Excellent. I can work with those dimensions. I will post back with availability after I talk to the rebuilder.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just curious if anyone has figured out a source to get the seal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have a 2003 and I think this is the exact problem I am having. Is this bad for the pump or anything else if I wait a little bit to get it fixed?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I also have a 2003 and I think this is the exact problem I am having. Is this bad for the pump or anything else if I wait a little bit to get it fixed?
Your info shows a 2003 9-5 not a 9-3. Not sure if this applies to a 9-5. Do you also have a 9-3? I would fix it as soon as possible if it turns out to be the issue. Engine oil is not good for the PS system.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts