SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just replaced my power steering pump because it was worn out. No power steering at idle. Needed to rev the engine for it to work. (120k on the car BTW)

Bought a re-manufactured pump from Autozone. It looked good, I installed it and flushed out the system with new CHF 11 fluid. Before I drove the car I lifted the front end and slowly turned the wheel back and forth to bleed air out of the system. Pretty straight forward.

The new pump makes an awful knocking noise when under load or if I have the steering turned to lock in either direction. Its not as bad if I rev it a little while turning but something is definitely wrong. I have put about 300 miles on it so far with no change since installation. With this pump from Autozone I had to swap over the reservoir as well as the pressure sensor and the small parts under the pressure sensor.

Autozone will replace this for me as a defective part which is super. But before I went through the trouble I wanted to see if the community had any thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
Rebuilt junk I'd say.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally got around to replacing the replacement pump. So far everything works indicating that it was indeed a bad replacement pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts