SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a problem for quite some time. My Linear wagon has issues with the power steering. It works but it's hard to turn the wheel when the car is not moving at a decent clip. I can deal with it but when the wife has to drive the car, she complains. I suppose I should replace the pump, particularly considering that I have that side of the engine all pulled apart to replace the water pump, but power steering pumps are not exactly cheap.

I think someone dumped the wrong type of fluid into it before I bought the car. It was low when I got it and I topped it off but that didn't fix the problem. I can't see a leak but that doesn't mean that there isn't a very small one that blends in with the other fluids the car has leaked over the years. It doesn't make noise.

I have to wonder if flushing the system and putting in the correct fluid will return it to normal performance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you are anywhere in the north I’d suspect steering shaft bearings. I don’t know where they are located but I’ve had it happen on much newer vehicles.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the pump off and drained as much of the lines as possible. I'm wondering how to get the fluid down in the rack and the bottom of the lines out. Blow it out with compressed air? Is there a bleeder down there someplace or a fitting that can come apart?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Easiest way is to pull return line from reservoir and place into pan or bucket. Add fluid and run the pump and turn the wheel back and forth until it comes out clean.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Easiest way is to pull return line from reservoir and place into pan or bucket. Add fluid and run the pump and turn the wheel back and forth until it comes out clean.
That's really the most efficient way. I'd add though, DO NOT allow the pump to run dry.. EVER. Definetly have someone in the car to turn it off. Tolerances in these pumps are extremely low. Just running it for a few seconds without fluid will likely cause the pump to get noisy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts