SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the big power steering issue is a leak in the steel line that runs along the bottom front edge of the car. i have the piece to fix that issue. rather than remove ALL of the line from the car, i just want to (and thought it would be easier to) remove the steel line only. * on the drvers side (left) of the car on the line, is a union of two lines i have been trying to seperate that union for a day and a half. i have applied liberal amounts of PB blaster, throughout this adventure, applied torque (wrenches), applied heat, smacked it (and a finger) with a hammer, even tried an old hot rodders trick of using candle wax and heat. (wash, rinse repeat...) how in the world do i separate that particular union within the confines of being where it is? i have pictures of my new found nemesis, but i cannot figure out how to post them up on here, so i hope that someone knows what i am talking about.

another idea i have run across, would i be able to re-route the line with rubber hose? this would eliminate the problem from happening in the future...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
That one union between hose assemblies is the real nemisis of the whole front p/w hose replacement.

Just getting to it is a royal pain, (removing the inter cooler, radiator and battery helps a lot).

I was lucky, on the two I've done the metal tubing was only rusted out across the front of the car and not on the bits that went fore/aft so I used hydraulic tubing couplings there and left the OEM SAAB one alone there under the battery.

Most hydraulic hose shops will have the 10mm metric compression fittings needed. Makes the job significantly easier. If you're into bending your own tubing, the total cost of the job can be cut significantly using generic tubing and fittings rather than the rather expensive original tubing assembly. On my 5 door SE, I replaced most of the metal tubing on that assembly for about $20 rather than spend $225 for a new assembly.
You can't use most rubber hose solutions, the pressures are just too high.

Hydraulic hoses will work and I've often thought if I were to do another, I'd simply bypass the entire OEM system and route a hose/tubing assembly between the P/S pump and the rack/pinion unit.

Take some measurements, remove the mechanical couplings at the pump and rack and take them to a hydraulic hose shop.

The shop can re-use the original ends and fabricate a complete hose assembly. It's a guess, but I'd put the cost of the new hose assembly at probably under $100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after asking the local part stores, it's pretty much agreed that your hydrolic hose idea would work. the reall b**** is i have already gone through the trouble of getting the line i need out of another car. i'll have to talk to the owner about it, and see whaat the next step will be. thanks for the tip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts