SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend with a 2002 9-3 called to say he had good news and bad news. The good news is that the squeaking noise coming from the passenger side, front edge of the engine is gone. Well, "YEAH!" I say.

Then the bad news is that his power steering is gone.

For the moment and without looking at the car, I'm going to assume that the power steering pump is gone. I see that an OEM one is over $650, and therefore is pretty much out of his budget. An aftermarket one is about $325, and a remanufactured OEM is $180.

Assuming this IS the problem, is it critical that this be a Saab part versus an aftermarket/universal item? Is it a bad idea to get a remanufactured one? Is the least expensive and perfectly acceptable solution is get one from local big box auto parts store?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
841 Posts
A friend with a 2002 9-3 called to say he had good news and bad news. The good news is that the squeaking noise coming from the passenger side, front edge of the engine is gone. Well, "YEAH!" I say.

Then the bad news is that his power steering is gone.

For the moment and without looking at the car, I'm going to assume that the power steering pump is gone. I see that an OEM one is over $650, and therefore is pretty much out of his budget. An aftermarket one is about $325, and a remanufactured OEM is $180.

Assuming this IS the problem, is it critical that this be a Saab part versus an aftermarket/universal item? Is it a bad idea to get a remanufactured one? Is the least expensive and perfectly acceptable solution is get one from local big box auto parts store?

Thanks in advance.
I would have no problem replacing my power steering pump with a remanufactured one from napa or advance auto. Most of those places have a warranty of some sort anyways, just in case the remanufactured part turns out to be faulty. There is certainly no reason to buy the $700 new oem part.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Agree:cheesy:
Now, why did this happen?
Was the pump allowed to run dry?
I know that these systems leak and I know that many are averse to doing monthly check ups - these take 5 to 15 minutes...somes even less...
And this applies to all vehicles, even Japanese cars..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts