SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be potential cause of power steering fluid to leak? Should I have to replace the whole power steering rack? I'm going underneath the car this weekend, please tell me what areas to look at. Is it certain hoses that could be leaking? Is there a diagram or write-up on this?

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
The two common places are:

1. The hard high pressure line that runs from the pump down and along the bottom of the IC and/or radiator and then back to the rack, it will rust out along the bottom of the radiator (see pic).
  2. The cap has a vent hole in it, when it gets blocked it can cause it to leak out of the reservoir.
Also check all the fittings at both the rack, reservoir and pump.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The most likely place for a power steering fluid leak is that formed metal pipe that goes under intercooler and engine oil cooler. Very very common to rust out.

After that, the soft hoses at the reservoir can cause a mess.

Not impossible it's the rack itself, but it's way down on the list of probable suspects.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As it turns out the area under the I/C and engine oil cooler is okay. There was no rust at all. The leak is actually coming from the power steering rack. When I re-fill fluid it is out within a day or two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts