SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had to tow my saab to a mechcanic to have the the motor mounts changed(they quoted me 100 so that works in my book!!)Anyway when it was being towed I had the engine off because I need to get the exhaust gaskets that conect the the cast manifolds to the rest of the exhaust.I didnt run it for fear of warping the valves.So with the car running there was no power steering and no power assist brakes..Sorry Im rambling.When it was being towed I loved how the steering felt I felt more connected with the car,plus it also gave a bit more feedback of what the car was doing.Heres the question if I was to remove the power steering pump and plug the lines would I do any harm?Ive always thought that the power steering on my 1990 made the steering just a bit too light for how heavy the car is..

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
SpecialTool said:
Just take the belt off -- simple, and easier to reverse if you change your mind.
Actually it's not quite that simple - if you just take the belt off you'll be cranking the wheel against the resistance of a couple columns of hydraulic fluid - I removed powersteering - totally - over a year ago and wouldn't go back to boosted steering. The PS pump, adjustment pulley and most of the lines came off - you have to let the rack vent - so don't just undo the lines and jam covers in - steering feel was far better after doing this than it was with just the belt removed (my pump siezed up, prompting the side of the road belt removal with a pocket knife) -

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
900 with Armstong steering is really terrible to drive. I drove a 99T once adn it was still a little harsh.

You know GEARHEAD, you have been on here for a long time. Why don't you just pick up a good old turbo 16 for the power increase and improved driving performance.

When all the components are in good nick and the steering is not too light like on some cars, the 900 has an INCREDIBLE road feel.

This includes:

good springs, new shocks + shock bushings, tie rods (inner and outer), non leaking p/s rack, new sway bar bushings (inner and outer), new a-arm bushings (all 4), new balljoints (4), new CORRECT tyres (195 65 r15) (4), good wheel bearings, correctly working brakes, new trailing arm bushings, and so on. That makes the difference!

I transformed my 89' T16 I had into a road monster after I did the above!

(edit) towing will change the feel of the car too.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
woywitka said:
900 with Armstong steering is really terrible to drive. I drove a 99T once adn it was still a little harsh.

When all the components are in good nick and the steering is not too light like on some cars, the 900 has an INCREDIBLE road feel.
You should try and get some more driving time in a 99 again - The 99 feels a hell of a lot nicer than a 900!
You only notice the lack of power when manouvering in tight car parks. On the road you can actually feel so much more with manual steering!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've probably owned more 99's than 900's but I prefer driving the 900 - it still has more feel than most modern cars....

anyway I'd had enough of that boat anchor b-series and it's silly waterpumps :cheesy:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I dont miss those b-motor water-pumps at all. And I dont mind a c900 without p/s., to me it feels better.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My c900 race car doesn't have power steering. The previous owner capped off the lines,and removed the pump and belt.At first it was a little tough, but I'm used to it. I can wheel that car around no problem.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Tomarse said:
You should try and get some more driving time in a 99 again - The 99 feels a hell of a lot nicer than a 900!
You only notice the lack of power when manouvering in tight car parks. On the road you can actually feel so much more with manual steering!
Well, I'm sure one could think one way or the other. For Regular city use for a skinny boy like me, the Saab power steering system is a must have!

I prefer Power Steering.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I had a previous 900 with armstrong, it was heavy in parking lots but totally manageable. My current 900 is power assist, but still seems quite heavy to me compared to other cars. I like the feel. Nice and firm at speed, and easy in the parking lot as well...

·
Registered
1 Posts
PS Delete

Actually it's not quite that simple - if you just take the belt off you'll be cranking the wheel against the resistance of a couple columns of hydraulic fluid - I removed powersteering - totally - over a year ago and wouldn't go back to boosted steering. The PS pump, adjustment pulley and most of the lines came off - you have to let the rack vent - so don't just undo the lines and jam covers in - steering feel was far better after doing this than it was with just the belt removed (my pump siezed up, prompting the side of the road belt removal with a pocket knife) -
Hey,
I know I'm waking up an old post. Just recently picked up my first saab, a 1991 900s. Can you give me a little more detail about the PS delete? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey,
I know I'm waking up an old post. Just recently picked up my first saab, a 1991 900s. Can you give me a little more detail about the PS delete? Thanks in advance
You certainly are, but you won't catch me *****ing because it shows that you're using the Search function, which people ***** about other people not using. You just can't win.

I've run a car with looped lines before and hated it. The rack has to pump fluid back and forth, which adds to the resistance.

So here's how I deleted power steering in my car:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5890666&postcount=21

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5890666&postcount=22

I'll never go back. The steering is light and free and you can feel every pebble on the road, but still no torque steer or kick back of any sort. Parking takes some muscle but you get used to it, and as soon as you're rolling at all the steering lightens up again.

To what I've shown here I'd add a lube fill & drain port, because that grease just isn't enough. After a couple years the rack has started to stiffen up on hot days. I've bled some PS fluid into the rack and it's better, but it really needs fluid inside of it. I'd also cut off all of the spool valving on the pinion shaft.

You don't have to do it my way, but I think this is the right way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
Matt Dupuis
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing