SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past 2 weeks, my 2005 9-3 2.0t Sedan has experienced intermittent power shut downs while driving. Twice while crusing at 75-80 mph on the highway and once while pulling out of retail center at 5 mph. All of the electrical system continues to work, but the check engine light comes on. If it sits for ~20 minutes it starts right back up. The mechanic had no tangible answers after the computer diagnostics were done. Any thoughts or ideas? I love this car and have never experienced any problems, but now I'm terrified to drive it!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
welcome to Saab Central.

intermittent failures are difficult to detect ........

I point for a intermittent failure bus terminal contact (maybe in the engine control unit)

good luck

·
Registered
980 Posts
The CEL is on anytime the key is on and the engine is not running, so it is not necessarily indicative of any stored codes. It sounds like the best time to diagnose this problem is during the brief period of time that the engine will not restart after shutting down. Assuming that the engine cranks over OK after shutdown, that leaves us with either fuel or ignition issues. Unless you have a fuel pressure gage available with the correct fitting for our fuel rails, it's probably easier to first check for spark. Are you up to a little roadside wrenching? (also assuming that she will quit where it is safe to do so!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine shutdown issue

Have you found a solution to this issue?..because my Saab is doing the same thing twice now....(taking it in the shop tomorrow)...I'll let you know the results
Andy

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fuel pump failures have been known to begin intermittently.

Try to listen for the fuel pump when you turn the engine to ignition, right before you crank it over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took it in to the Saab dealer...they told me it's the ECM (electronic control module) that the codes pointed to this component. Ouch!..new one is.$645. Car has 104k on it. Thanks for your reply
Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
classic crank sensor symptoms.crank sensor failure will useually also trigger a gearbox malfuction message and or gearbox light,if so replace crank sensor.note;remove starter for easy access.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts