SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently have a 5 speed manual transmission Saab92X linear.my car is 2.5 years old with 44,000 km.
I never use the clutch other than starting in 1st gear or downshifting.

to change gears, at the time you would press the clutch, the shifter slides out of gear and into the next gears, i don't increase the rpm. (power shifting)

Just recently my speedometer and odometer stopped working and according to the
dealership, a gear within the transmission which connect to the speed sensor is stripped. As such they have to drop the trani and open it up.

my question is

1) is it better to install a new transmission or just service the original one..

2) doe shifting without a clutch cause undo damage to the transmission and could that be the cause of the gear stripping????

please advice..

clutchless user..

thanks.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
marco99ca said:
currently have a 5 speed manual transmission Saab92X linear.my car is 2.5 years old with 44,000 km.
I never use the clutch other than starting in 1st gear or downshifting.Do not let the dealer know this, I doubt if he suspects - but one never knows. He will void any warranty faster than the US government kills any knowledge of aliens and UFOs.

to change gears, at the time you would press the clutch, the shifter slides out of gear and into the next gears, i don't increase the rpm. (power shifting)I have done this, its cool, but then the vehicle responsibility is mine, no-one elses..

Just recently my speedometer and odometer stopped working and according to the
dealership, a gear within the transmission which connect to the speed sensor is stripped. As such they have to drop the trani and open it up.

my question is

1) is it better to install a new transmission or just service the original one..I'm sure warranty will do this via the least expensive method. If not covered, plan on a second mortgage..

2) doe shifting without a clutch cause undo damage to the transmission and could that be the cause of the gear stripping????
I do not know, maybe ..
But this should have nothing to do with the speedo-drive-gear, IMO..

please advice..

clutchless user..

thanks.
The more modern GM Saab uses the ABS(anti-lock brake system) transmitter..

Or does this Japanese Saab have anti-lock brakes ??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you so lazy that you can't use your left foot to press in the clutch? :roll:
You got what you deserved...you f***ed up your car. :nono;

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
marco99ca said:
I doubt that shifting without the clutch ruined your speedo gear but it's still not terribly good for your gearbox.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Um the techniuqe you use for shifting is called ripping shifts, it should only be used for racing, unless you have a big bank account. It will hurt gears and the gearbox. The gear are "ripped" from drive so damage should happen.
Focker

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm no expert on this "power shifting" and certainly don't advocate it, but I thought it was about shifting at the high end of the RPM band to more or less match the rpm of the internals to make it easier to shift with very little clutch action.

·
Registered
888 Posts
First, let me say I am a big subaru fan, I have owned 9 of them, all good cars. O.K., here goes: Subaru syncronizers are absolute crap. If treated properally, the transmission in a subaru will last as long as the car. If you power shift, you will distroy your syncors in short order. I cannot believe they have lasted as long as they have in your transmission. Why do you do this??? Was there a reason, or did you just do it for the fun of it?

I would not tell your dealer about the power shifting, play dumb and say you cannot understand how a transmission can have troubles like this, THEN USE YOUR CLUTCH with the new transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.