SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening gents,

It seems that the outside cable on the passenger seat back has broken about two inches above where the cable end is staked onto the seat back hinge.

The cable itself seems to be a very low volume dealer only item. Mostly it appears that the "tubes" that the cables slide through/in seem to wear out. Not so in the 94 turbo vert that I am busy bringing up to snuff for my wife. The PO's teenaged son was hard on not only the tranny/clutch/motor mounts/shifter but apparently the passenger's seat back as well.

Have any of you replaced a cable before, and if so do you have any advise that you might share? It appears that the anchor for the cable end at the seat hinge end will have to be drilled out, and a suitable hardened bolt substituted. I will figure out what else needs to be done at the other end where the cable goes into the seat back. To replace the cable housings, at least one end of the cable must be set up to come loose without too much effort. The forum thread on the cable housings will no doubt be helpful.

The Taliaferro Saab dealership (Missouri) has a large, helpful web site. A search showed nothing, so I called. One of their parts staffers said that they could get the part, but that they had NEVER had one in stock, nor ordered one for all of the power seat 900's that they had sold/serviced over the years. That statistic is by itself interesting. the cable is PN 4170072 FWIW.

That seat back has perhaps seen some "jubilant" :eek: usage to completely break one of the cables. As far as I can tell, the car has not been hit from either end--which might also cause a shock severe enough to break the thing in two.

Any experience you may be able to share will be appreciated.:cheesy:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Gabby said:
The PO's teenaged son was hard on not only the tranny/clutch/motor mounts/shifter but apparently the passenger's seat back as well.
Mebbe I have a dirty mind, but I doubt I'm alone in taking a guess at why/how...

Any experience you may be able to share will be appreciated.:cheesy:
Ohmigawd, here come the moderators!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts