SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc and both power mirrors won't adjust left or right. They will move up and down however.

The information I have found points to the "switch" - which I assume is the controller on the drivers side A pillar.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was the fix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The contacts in the switch on the driver's door may be dirty. Haven't tried it without disassembling it but maybe you can spray electrical contact cleaner into the gap around the button. Protect the surrounding area since gunk may dribble out.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The fix in my car was the switch. It has tabs and pops out and unplugs if you want to play with it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The switch is a common failure on 9-5’s but the switch is different on the 9-5. You may have luck taking the switch out and spraying electrical cleaner into it. I tried taking one apart in my 9-5 and there were little pieces every where. I replaced it with one from a junk yard for $5

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
I would work the switch back and forth repeatedly. It may well start to work. This is a typical problem on NG900/OG9-3 cars as well.

If you can get access to a Tech II, you can activate them without going through the switches to see if they work. And there may well be codes for open or shorted circuits.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yeah, Tech II should run the motors and test the switches. There are actually 7 switches in the basic mirror "switch" so there's plenty to wear out there too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got to inspecting the problem and found out that the issue is with the plastic "directional hat".
The PCB board with the rubber contact cover works great when used without the plastics.
The d-hat occasionally works if pressed with enough force. But that's just stupid.
I might try filling in the backside of the hat to help it make better contact with the rubber contact cover. Hot glue would be temporary, as it wouldn't be able to stand summer heat very well, if at all.

It looks like the replacement part number is 12801063 (with the mirrors down function). Of course the only parts available are used parts, grr... I'd hate to lose the function.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Same problem I had. Replace the switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts