SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing happens when I try to operate the power mirrors. When I was troubleshooting an airbag light I tested the wire to the switch. There was power to one wire. So, I assume it is not the fuse.

Are switches known for going bad?

I tried to by pass the switch by connecting the power wire to other wires in the harnes but nothing happennes.

Suggestions???

(WIS has been ordered)

·
Registered
556 Posts
A lot of time on many cars since the switch isn't used much the contacts get dirty and then the mirrors don't work. A good cleaning of the switch sometimes get things back working.

·
Registered
229 Posts
On my 2000 'vert I have the same issue. Power at the switches, but they moved in only one direction; up. Now that they are at their fully raised position, no more action. I'll look into cleaning them. Any recommended procedure for that service other than pushing them 75 times X 2??

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The switch is probably OK..
Dollars to doughnuts the mirror motor is frozen due to corrosion...
Motors like exercise, but these, in many cases, receive none.
To fix , or at least access, "pop the glass"...or have a glass place do this...I will not...
Check out the Haynes ??

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Clean the switch; mine was the same. I took apart the switch, cleaned the contacts and it's working perfectly again :cheesy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, whats the best way to remove the switch from the dash? My left passenger side switch doesn't move down, but moves left, right up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry I'm in the wrong thread. New to the site. I'm referring to a Classic 900 not NG900.
Have re-posted question in correct thread.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This old post brought me up to date with my power mirror problems. My 2000 'vert got the mirror switch replaced by one from a 5-door and now it works great! Apparently, being an open car, the switch probably has been wet a few times and caused the switch to corrode. However, one out of a dry sedan made it all work like new! No frozen motors or other issues. AAAAHHHH, what a relief.

·
Registered
10,606 Posts
In my car, it was the grease that congealed and kept the switch points from making good contact. That happened when the car was only 3 years old. I disassembled the whole switch, cleaned all of the old grease out, and repacked it with new Sil-Glyde silicone grease. I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add my name to the "clean the switch" camp. Sadly I had to break the plastic panel to get it off the door but now that my 900 is old enough to drive itself I don't worry about such things :D

After cleaning the switch all is well.

No I just need to get the power locks to work again...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've also had good luck manipulating the mirror and then using the switch...like a charm

Switch is a bit unreliable sometimes so I'll have to clean it one of these days

Great suggestions!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any trick to getting the switch out of the pod without damage, I'd like to say I have the luck of the Irish but that ain't happenin.

·
Registered
10,606 Posts
You have to take the trim off of the door, and then push the switch out from being. I've always broken at least one clip when taking off the mirror trim, but it doesn't need them all to stay on.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Any trick to getting the switch out of the pod without damage, I'd like to say I have the luck of the Irish but that ain't happenin.
Your 2004 might be different, but I used a very small flathead screwdriver to pry it out. There was a small indent if you looked carefully, but not anything you'd regularly notice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts