SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the car 4 months ago. Put a new saab DIC in and plugs. They said the turbo may be kn the way out. 500 miles later it went. Car had 58k miles on it. 2001 9-5 5 speed 4 cylinder. Put the pcv upgrade in and a new turbo international brand gt17 center section in. Dropped pan and all is good. Changed oil and waited 400 miles to start boosting much. Changed oil again after 1k miles. I run premium name brand fuel. That's the bio. Now the issue. With the old turbo I could boost deep into the red and make crazy power. New turbo barely gets to the red if at all but has a few times. Major torque steer in second gear and all that good stuff a couple times. When I jump on it now it will pull good rpm's but its not making the power even on cool evenings. My SID is dark so I cant read it but I do have to hit the clear button every time I start it to dim the display light. Put an obd tool on and no codes. Gas mileage is about 25. Air filter is clean genuine saab. Hope that's enough to go on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I should add that I did shorten the BOV linkage by two turns. I'm considering putting it back. I wonder if I'm forcing a lean condition. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Also I should add that I did shorten the BOV linkage by two turns. I'm considering putting it back. I wonder if I'm forcing a lean condition. Any thoughts?
You mean the wastegate arm? Depending on which direction you turned it you can increase or decrease base boost. Also when you replaced the cartridge, did you hook everything back up the way it was? I asked because when I replaced mine apparently the previous owner had left a hose unhooked and didnt realize it when I installed my new Turbo until I through a code five days later. Hooked up the hose and I boost all the way to the end of the red zone now.

If your sure all hoses are hooked up right you can try the bolt mod and see if you can find your lost boost... dont have the link but you can search for it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes WG not BOV. I shortened the linkage two full turns. I will look for the bolt mod later today when I get off. Don't get me wrong the car isn't a slug but I know there is more power available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the bolt mod and didn't notice any major gains. I would love to make boost again into the red zone like the previous unit did but more than that I would rather it not be sluggish from idle until 3500rpm and have it all of a sudden hit. The off boost power is not good, I think the bolt mod helped bring on boost a little quicker but I will see after putting some miles on it tomorrow.

I hate to say it but my car is under 60K miles, my wifes 1999 subaru 2.5l with 125k has way more low end and even better mid range than the saab. That doesn't seem right or fair.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm sticking in with this one... I recently did a motor swap and the car is sluggish until 3000-3500. I have a 2000 so I don't have a boost gauge to help diagnose the issue. I'm starting to think it could be some of Tge check valves not affected by the bolt mod.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was only able to drive the car a little ways last night. I put 10 miles on this morning and I did notice a difference in the rpm vs. boost ratio. It's coming on quicker so it doesn't have that nothing nothing nothing then bam feel. It's spread out over the rpm range. Of course it was 25/30 degrees cooler this morning which the car seems to like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have put about 150 miles on the car and it is much better. I still don't have the power I think it had however the power band is more linear now rather than all at once. As an added bonus it looks like mpg's are on the rise but I won't know for sure until next fill up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts