SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit back there was some discussion along with part numbers for retrofitting the power fold away external mirrors. This is an option in other markets, but not so in the US. I hate that! Do they automatically assume that we WOULDN'T want them? In any event has anyone sucessfuly done this either here in the States or had them added after the fact in other countries. Part numbers, pricing, Tech II programming, etc would be nice. Many auto makers (Audi, Jag, BMW, MB, etc) have them as a feature, sometimes STANDARD...I often park on narrow streets and besides the "cool factor" would be useful.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I haven't, but here is all the info I scraped together...
http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/SGFOG/item-c02.htm

;oops: I just looked at it, there's far too little info. I guess I didn't find anything. Either that or it was just too big a project & I gave up. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Viscouse said:
I haven't, but here is all the info I scraped together...
http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/SGFOG/item-c02.htm

;oops: I just looked at it, there's far too little info. I guess I didn't find anything. Either that or it was just too big a project & I gave up. :)
I emailed my dealer contact in UK to see what he will say about pricing and retrofitting them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Power fold in mirrors info...

I did a search of the previous posts to this forum. Sorry, guess I should have done that sooner :lol: . In any event, here is some relevant information. Maybe we can get pricing and possibly if enough are interested a "group buy" discount to boot. Installation directions have to be available somewhere. Hopefully, it is plug and play. Also, if I understand correctly, the process of retracting and unfolding the mirrors can be automated as well as manually operated. For example, when locking the car with the key fod, holding down the lock button after the doors lock will fold the mirrors from the outside. Also, after starting the car if you drive over a certain speed, 20 mph, I believe they will unfold. Hopefully, Tech II adjustment is not needed. I can just imagine trying to explain this to some of the dealership technicians :roll:. To manually operate the feature, there is a button on the power window adjustment switch that is located next to the "reverse dip" button below the directional pad.

You'll need the following parts:
(For left-hand drive)
Rear view mirror framework, electrically retractable, left, p/n: 12 798 095
(with memory function p/n: 12 795 605)
Rear view mirror framework, electrically retractable, right, p/n: 12 798 098
(with memory function p/n: 12 795 619)
Switch, rear view mirror, electrically retractable, p/n: 12 801 064
(with memory function p/n: 12 801 065)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I looked at that option way back then and gave up. Far too expensive to do and there is the added uncertainty of missing wire harness and controller which means more $$.

·
Banned
209 Posts
Personalyl i think they would be a waste in the US. Face it our cars arent that big compaired to the escalades that usually have them, and our parkin spots on average are larger than in other parts of the world. Go waste your money somwhere else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
BCarrara said:
This is an option in other markets, but not so in the US. I hate that! Do they automatically assume that we WOULDN'T want them?
Maybe SAAB are wary like the comfort closing windows, of being sued in the US?

I can't think legitimately why SAAB would withhold an option in another country other than on the grounds of legal or too low a demand.

The folding mirrors are definitely a boon in the UK where parking spaces are usually 6 inches narrower than your car!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If Saab charged Americans what they charge Europeans, I'm sure they'd be happy to include the folding mirrors. I'm sure the absence is for cost savings.

·
Registered
232 Posts
For you guys, and ladies, out there in NA, I will check on the pricing, and feasibility of adding this as an option to your car.

I am reasonably certain that the existing wiring that carries power to the mirrors can support these, and the switch being installed, based on the simple fact that so many electronic options have been disabled for the NA market- but that are still ghosted.

Mods, and more knowledgeable folks, correct if my assessment is off here, but it seems that Saab has built 1 car...the vast majority of differences between the market specs are simply electronic disabling that TechII can fix. Rambling here....I'll call my loacl dealer here in Germany, this morning. They service a lot of military cars, and can probably square me away pretty quick.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Okay, I called the dealer in Würzburg, Germany, and the parts guy will call me back on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday).....

BC, what parts catalog are these p/ns from? USA, Britain..?

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you can figure out how this is done, I'd be really interested to hear - my garage is quite narrow - I sometimes catch the mirrors on the way in ;oops:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Smurk, with your chassis number and those part numbers, call and see if your car can accept those mirrors. The main thread here is that those of us with NA spec cars don't erven get this as an option- so we are researching/'musing the idea of buying the parts, and retrofitting.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
rugbybrado said:
Personalyl i think they would be a waste in the US. Face it our cars arent that big compaired to the escalades that usually have them, and our parkin spots on average are larger than in other parts of the world. Go waste your money somwhere else.
Not sure I would spend the money either but one place I sure could use them is when using a drive up ATM machine. I'm 6'2" and have longer than average arms, but the way the dang ATM machines are set up (recessed in a bezel and with concrete barriers so people don't run into them) I can barely reach the buttons and have to manually pull in mirrors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts