SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of hp do you think I can generate on an 82 n/a 900 8v 5spd by installing a hot cam, upgraded valve springs, port matched mss header, and a free flow exhaust with 'test pipe'? I know turbo is the ideal for many but I like the idea of jazzing up my na to have a sportier setup with an upgraded suspension. Think 140hp is achievable? (albeit without the torque of the turbo cars). thanks!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
What type of hp do you think I can generate on an 82 n/a 900 8v 5spd by installing a hot cam, upgraded valve springs, port matched mss header, and a free flow exhaust with 'test pipe'? I know turbo is the ideal for many but I like the idea of jazzing up my na to have a sportier setup with an upgraded suspension. Think 140hp is achievable? (albeit without the torque of the turbo cars). thanks!
Per the factory manual that engine had 110 bhp (flywheel).
Those are some good bolt ons, but maybe hard to find in this day and age.
The manual also said that year came with K-Jet fueling. If you are planning on sticking with that it will be tough to tune so your fuel properly across all loads and rpm ranges. Controlling ignition timing will not be that difficult because of you load range. Just full vacuum to atmospheric. Where a turbo you have to deal with above atmospheric and need more of a wider range of control.
As far as torque, a n/a will have a broader flatter torque curve. This makes it more usable across a wider rpm range. Turbos are often peaky had have a narrow powerband. I would not get too wrapped up around the numbers. Depending what your goals are and how much time and money you have all things are achievable.
Here is a link from UKSaabs. A lot of time and effort.
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17159&hilit=turbo+killer&start=240

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!

too cool.
Thanks for your feedback and the very interesting link. .
Indeed, a lot of effort but seems like a fun project.
Ill stick to my course and (eventually) report back with results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you ever get around to upgrading your 900? And if so what parts did you use and what was the gains? Looking to do a bit of an n/a build myself

1 - 4 of 4 Posts