SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the process of powder coating my Super Aero wheels today. Only had enough time to lay on 1 coating of aircraft-grade paint stripper, and then rinse them off. If my buddy had been able to stay at his shop tonight I would have hopefully gotten at least 1 stripped, sandblasted, and powder coated.

Here's the pic I got.

If the stripper didn't totally remove the OE finish, it was soft enough to scrape off with my fingernail. 1 more coat of the stripper tomorrow night, and then I'll brush all the paint (buddy and his boss say they were powder coated from the factory... true?) off and get some more work done.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The sandblasting wouldn't have done the job alone?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't want to sandblast unless you have to. Several coats of the paint stripper will soften the powder coating up enough where it will come off with the spray from the hose (at best) or at least with a wire brush.

When I did my valve cover the factory powder coating literally slid off as one big glacier of goop.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you just restoring them dan? or going for a whole new colour?
Satin black as of right now. Was gonna do black chrome, but it may have been more of a hassle to match the paint to the plastic center caps. Satin seems like an easier match, and after looking at some other wheels that have the same color powder coating I like the more subtle look to it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm going to have to think about this too... I'm not sure if my wheels will fit in my powder oven though...

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you got any more pics of your progress for us Danf??

Sorry, forgot to post here when I was done. Here you go:

From TSL:
I did my wheels this past weekend. Put 4 new tires on as well, 225/50R16. I think the wider tires really help give the car a more athletic stance. Heard they left a massive burnout on the road by the shop too... go figure.

Better pics (clean car too!) will be coming sometime.

This was the first wheel I did... Had a bit of a learning curve. Cut me some slack; I've never powder coated a wheel from start to finish before.

Say what you will, but it's freeeeeee.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Finish looks good DanF :cool:

If i'm honest i'm not a fan of dark wheels as a rule cuz i think it just makes them look dirty, but having said that black on a black car i reckon works really well IMO.:cheesy:

On a completely different subject - what exhaust is that you've got ??

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finish looks good DanF :cool:

If i'm honest i'm not a fan of dark wheels as a rule cuz i think it just makes them look dirty, but having said that black on a black car i reckon works really well IMO.:cheesy:

On a completely different subject - what exhaust is that you've got ??

Thanks, I chose the satin black for two reasons; it matches the worn look of the car :roll:, and it was free.

The exhaust is a custom, full 3" system that I did up while I was putting in my clutch. It looks bigger than 3" due to the weird camera angle, but it's just an end section of a 3" tube... no fancy tip or anything.

Here's the thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179675

·
Registered
54 Posts
how fun was it too mount the tires on those suckers?? such a pita...i had to do it the old fashion way..w no machine..they didnt scratch though and thats all that mattered...

its funny most people\shops have no clue you have to mount the tires from the back of the rim...until they have no other choice and they already ****ed them all up..pita though.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how fun was it too mount the tires on those suckers?? such a pita...i had to do it the old fashion way..w no machine..they didnt scratch though and thats all that mattered...

its funny most people\shops have no clue you have to mount the tires from the back of the rim...until they have no other choice and they already ****ed them all up..pita though.

It was a pain, but doable. We did it from the front of the wheels. No scratches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts