SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving in the downpour in Milwaukee, back from work, CEL comes on. Nothing seems to be acting strange at all, so I drive it home and then to Autozone, and get these three codes:

P0171 - System too lean bank 1
P0130 - Heated O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1
P1171 - a variety of possibilities... O2 sensor, Throttle position sensor, etc.

I replaced my front O2 sensor a few months ago with no issues or related CEL. I am sure this has something to do with the pouring rain...but how do I fix it then? Do I have to do the funny business with soldering some ECU wires together? Or just wait for it to dry out? Lastly, is it safe for me to drive? I'm being very easy on the gas, and it's acting perfectly normal...I'm really hoping it will just dry out or something. But it hasn't so far yet.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
It sounds like you got some water in the O2 sensor connections. Is this an after market sensor where you had to solder the OEM pigtail to the new sensor?... Ron

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda what I was thinking. But i didn't have to do any splicing business at all. The connection was identical to the OEM one...

Maybe I'll try unhooking the connection and letting it dry out. I hate to drive the car under a lean condition.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was getting the same thing....hitting a big puddle and cel would turn on with o2 sensor codes....i replaced 2 sensors with ones with solid rubber necks and problem gone....now they look like in this post
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100844

i dont know if it was the new connectors or the way boot protect the sensor now ..but my old sensors have wires really exposed close to sensor housing and it looked like there was some were and tear around..so i wouldn't be surprised if water was finding its way in

BTW if you just want to try to waterproof them ..recently i picked a little jar of liquid electrical tape from home depot for like $8....i have not tried it on anything that gets hot but it suppose to be heat resistant

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, that's what I was thinking. I let it sit all day in the sun today, but I still got the CEL. Is that (hopefully) just because I didn't unhook the battery to clear the codes? I just unhooked it now, so we'll see what happens in a little bit I guess...

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Left the battery unhooked for about 30 minutes, and didn't get a CEL when I started it up:cheesy:

Cascade, that is a good idea with the electrical tape. I have a little bit of regular electrical tape under the hood, for various other purposes, but it tends to not stick as well in the heat. The O2 sensor I have has rubber casing by the sensor itself, but by the connector it looks to be rather unprotected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts