SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting some BG 44K - the website makes great claims (don't they all). You add to a tank of fuel and it cleans your combustion chamber, injectors and valves (after only 1/3rd of a tank apparently). I though what the hell I'll give it a go but at £25 a shot it's not cheap for 325ml and working out what % this is of an average tankfull it's around 0.5%:eek: - how can this possibly do anything in such low concentrations? If I sniffed it it would probably be Kerosene but from here it smells like BS!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Gasoline itself is a cleaner, on top of that, it contains "detergents".

For the man who loves his car - give her some flowers, or a good wax job..
Otherwise, save your money.
How well is how baby running ?
Does she need an Italian tune up ??
on todays roads - impossible..

I think that many of these "miracle cures" are still around based on their effectiveness on gasoline conditions of 50 years ago..

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm currently using a simialar product, it's an irish-made additive called dipetane (www.dipetane.ie) that's sold in US as well. The reason I'm using it is that it "claims" to reduce emissions a bit and I have to put the car through b-annual Irish roadworthiness test and they are pretty rigorous on emmision levels, so I decided to give it a go. I am not sure whether it will have any effect or not, as I have no way of measuring emissions, but I thought just to be on safe side I'd use for 3-4 tanks before the test...

Sorry this may not answer the question about the particular product you're asking about, but that's my thought on this type of thing in general :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
earthworm said:
Gasoline itself is a cleaner, on top of that, it contains "detergents".

For the man who loves his car - give her some flowers, or a good wax job..
Otherwise, save your money.
True, true, ture...

Don't know about petro in Europe but North American petro contains detergents already added in, most do.

I'd be very cautious when using additives into the fuel tank, most are just a form of mineral spirits, paint thinner, methyl hydrate, ect. They all smell like thinners.

Some of this stuff can even damage the oxygen sensors (lambda sensor), and increase combustion chamber temperatures which can cause other forms of damage to the engine or components, exhaust components (cat converter) ect. Becareful...

·
Registered
272 Posts
1/2 a bottle of Berryman's Chemtool B-12 in the gas tank works nicely. Save the other half can for an engine flush in your oil - idle the car for 20 mins with 1/2 a bottle poured in the oil before draining for an oil change.

-zen

Shirozina said:
I was looking at getting some BG 44K - the website makes great claims (don't they all). You add to a tank of fuel and it cleans your combustion chamber, injectors and valves (after only 1/3rd of a tank apparently). I though what the hell I'll give it a go but at £25 a shot it's not cheap for 325ml and working out what % this is of an average tankfull it's around 0.5%:eek: - how can this possibly do anything in such low concentrations? If I sniffed it it would probably be Kerosene but from here it smells like BS!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still can't see how .05% of any addative can have any benefit whatsoever- you probably get a bigger % of detergents in premium fuels like V-power or BP Ultimate.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The main ingredient in the Berryman's B-12 is Toluene, you can also add straight toluene fromt he hardware store to make your own fuels, but it's fairly pricy. I had good results from fuel/oil treatments with the B-12.

-zen

Shirozina said:
I still can't see how .05% of any addative can have any benefit whatsoever- you probably get a bigger % of detergents in premium fuels like V-power or BP Ultimate.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tolulene is already added to petrol in quite large percentages apparently - there was a thread about this recently

·
Registered
23 Posts
When it comes to additives to gasoline I have explored finding our what additives are added to gasoline by brand. With so many brands of gasoline to choose from and with the variance in prices from name brand to "discount" brands there is obivous a difference in additives. I have been unsessessful in finding a resource that provides this information other than the ads for gasoline.

I did find out that some of the "off brands" and smaller distributors sometimes "take what's left" in the pipeline so, there may be some inconsistency in the formulation of off brands. And, they are discount because they do not add some of the non-mandated fuel additives as major distributors do.

I question why we are not able to have labeling for gasoline that shows what we are getting just as we have labeling for food and other products that we use. Just my personal concern and maybe a campaign can be started so that we can more adequately maintain our vehicles as informed shoppers.

We would like to believe that what we are putting in our tanks is what is advertised but where are the test results that prove that is the case?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts