SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I hit a sizeable pothole. In fact several other people hit the same pothole and ended up on the side of the road. The impact ended up bending the rim and I intend to replace it this weekend. Since the pothole impact the right HID headlight seems to shake or flutter. When I see its reflection on a road sign it is all shaky as if from engine vibration. It never used to be this way. Is it possible that this pothole broke something in the HID headlight and is making it unstable?

I definitely need to replace the rim. But if there is further damage I need to figure that out too. The state has a tort claim process - I am literally going to file a claim against the State of Minnesota for its defective roadway damaging my car. And if it's big enough I may have to be the first person ever in history to file an insurance claim for pothole damage.

Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The other day I hit a sizeable pothole. In fact several other people hit the same pothole and ended up on the side of the road. The impact ended up bending the rim and I intend to replace it this weekend. Since the pothole impact the right HID headlight seems to shake or flutter. When I see its reflection on a road sign it is all shaky as if from engine vibration. It never used to be this way. Is it possible that this pothole broke something in the HID headlight and is making it unstable?

I definitely need to replace the rim. But if there is further damage I need to figure that out too. The state has a tort claim process - I am literally going to file a claim against the State of Minnesota for its defective roadway damaging my car. And if it's big enough I may have to be the first person ever in history to file an insurance claim for pothole damage.

View attachment 22147
Probably, there are 3 pivot points in the headlamp that allow the self adjustablility of the lamp. I rencently had the same thing happen to me. The cost of the replacement was close to $1K. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
wow, that must have been a serious pothole for it to do that to the 16"alu.
I hit a pretty deep and jagged one last year that caused a blister on one wheel, but I never noticed a bend.
G/L on your claim. I imagine you took a pic of the pothole and people on the breakdown lane as evidence?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, that must have been a serious pothole for it to do that to the 16"alu.
I hit a pretty deep and jagged one last year that caused a blister on one wheel, but I never noticed a bend.
G/L on your claim. I imagine you took a pic of the pothole and people on the breakdown lane as evidence?
It was easily the biggest pothole I've ever hit. When I hit it I was surprised that the wheel wasn't just ripped off of the car.

The roads in Minnesota are quite ragged this year. It was a tough winter and the road maintenance budgets have been dramatically slashed. On top of that there are some labor issues. A local news station followed a City of St. Paul road repair crews with a hidden camera. They found that the crews worked for maybe 3-4 hrs of their 8 hr workday, taking lots of "breaks". The manager of road maintenance was then confronted about this and I believe he ended up resigning his post. (NOTE: I'm not ripping on ALL government employees. I'm sure there are many hard-working road repair crews out there.)

Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the pothole at the time or of the people in the breakdown lane. But I did file a pothole report. Sure enough within about 2-3 hrs of filing this report the pothole was patched so they definitely know about it. That does not guarantee that they won't try to waffle out of it though. I e-mailed MnDOT about the tort claim process and they promptly directed me to the appropriate people in their Tort Claims Office. Things are bad when you have to open a whole Tort Claims office. Then again this is the same MnDOT that let a major Interstate bridge fall into the river.

I found a used 16" 10-spoke rim ("B" condition - it looks pretty nice actually) today for $125 at an auto salvager today. They even swapped the old tire off and mounted/balanced it for me! It feels like brand new. But I need to take apart the headlight parts now and see if anything got broken in there.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate to bring up an old thread but I figured I better post a follow-up to this story. I finally had time today to work on the headlight.

Took part of the bumper cover off and removed the headlight module. Removed the HID transformer and Xenon bulb. There are three posts that the Xenon light hardware use to attach to the front of the housing. The top one had split off of the front of the housing. Used some bent-nose pliers, cotton swabs and cyanoacrylate and applied that to the root where the post meets the front of the housing. So far seems to be holding together.

If this holds together I think I avoided paying several hundred dollars for a replacement part. The light looks good and aim looks on point so far. And no more fluttering light!

Thank you all for your support.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts