SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just got this 05 9-3 linear. And i cannot get these headlights to turn off! I thought it was just a safety feature, but the dash backlights won't go off either. The gauges, radio, and LCD displays are all lit all the time. I turn the light knob on the left of the steering wheel and only the A/C knobs backlights go on and off.

Am i just stupid or what??

·
Registered
434 Posts
This is a common question- the answer is that the headlights have to be set to "rest of world" by the tech ii computer at the dealership. Some dealers will do it, some won't- it all has to do with the operation of the foglights and headlights simultaneously, and the involvement of lawsuits. Someone can probably explain this a little better, but that's the gist of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
To further explain what has been said your headlights are on because they are "day running lights" a stock saab feature te knob to control the lights only controls the option to only turn on DRL's (slightly left) your parking lights (straight up) and allow you to turn on your foglights (slightly right). As stated before you can go to a dealership to have te DRL's turned off so your ligt switch works like a normal cars

the dash lights can be dimmed with the roller wheel or knob, what have you, under the foglight buttons

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Hippie said:
To further explain what has been said your headlights are on because they are "day running lights" a stock saab feature te knob to control the lights only controls the option to only turn on DRL's (slightly left) your parking lights (straight up) and allow you to turn on your foglights (slightly right). As stated before you can go to a dealership to have te DRL's turned off so your ligt switch works like a normal cars

the dash lights can be dimmed with the roller wheel or knob, what have you, under the foglight buttons
Not the way an SS works at all. The Switch does nothing, the Low Beams, Parking Lights and Tails come on as soon as you start the car. You can Turn on the Highs or Fogs but not both. Getting them disabled by Tech II wil give you:

Pos 0 > No Lights
Pos1 > Fogs and 5 Watt Headlamp / Parking Light
Pos3 > Low Beam, High Beam, Manual Control of Fogs.

The Dash Lights are controlled by the "- +" rocker under the Nightpanel Switch.

Edit: Search Daytime running Lights, there is plenty to read.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Hippie said:
i guess im basing mine off an 03 vector so things where changed by 05
Post 4 is how my 03 Vector was set Stock and then after being set to ROW. Which I believe is how others are also set.

·
Registered
157 Posts
SilverStone641 said:
Hey guys. I just got this 05 9-3 linear. And i cannot get these headlights to turn off! I thought it was just a safety feature, but the dash backlights won't go off either. The gauges, radio, and LCD displays are all lit all the time. I turn the light knob on the left of the steering wheel and only the A/C knobs backlights go on and off.

Am i just stupid or what??
Iffen you're in Dallas, go to the Sewell Saab in Grapevine for your warranty work. Ask for Rick Kinsworthy or Mario Cantu- they're great. I called to the Sewell Saab in Plano and they were rude on the phone. Grapevine will give you a free loaner, even for an oil change. Just make sure you get every single issue that comes up done under warranty. For the Tech II service, such as the DRL disable, you'll have to pay for that- mine was 80 bucks for the DRL Tech II work.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i went to sewell saab in dallas, off lemon. usually they're pretty cool about it. I don't have a warranty though, which sucks.

Also, i'm not real sure what DRL means. can you define it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you're at less than 50,000 miles, you're under warranty still. If OOW, you still might be able to sweet-talk your way to some work. The badges on the hood and trunk is something that peels so go to any Saab and they'll replace it for free, in warranty or not.

"DRL" is for the Daytime Runing Lights. Basically, all your lights are always on and the light switch does not operate in the manner most other cars do and is pretty much a useless switch. I went to Sewell and had them do a Tech II to program the switch so I can turn them on and off at will. I like to run better quality H7 headlights and since those burn out faster, I didn't want the headlights on all the time. If you have this Tech II done, the City Lights will become your daytime running lights if the switch is turned to the 1 o'clock position.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Only 4,000 miles over warranty? If you have any issues that require serious money to fix, it's worth a shot to see if the dealer will take care of it. I get my Mobil1 changed at Sewell so that I'm a familiar face there, one that doesn't show up only when I need something fixed at their expense. Sure, I could get it changed cheaper elsewhere but I'd rather build on dealer loyalty.

BTW, I just put in new H7's over the weekend. Be prepared to give blood putting those little *******s on. I had SilverStars H7's purchased at Walmart until they burned out last week. I went to Pepboys to buy replacements and saw the SilverStars Ultra H7's. I learned the 50 bucks I paid was over-priced and could have gotten them online for half that. Live and learn. Buy the next set ahead of time

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, i'm the second owner of the car too. So i'm not sure i qualify anyway.

Advice taken on the Ultra's. That particular bit of info seems to be consistent throughout this forum

·
Registered
21 Posts
One thing that I've found from the DRL's and the light button is that if the switch is in the O position, you can flash your highbeams, if the switch is in the straight up position, you cannot--it just turns them on and off, but you can't do it quickly. Very annoying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts