SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, longtime lurker and Saab owner here.

I've recently been given the chance to purchase an 07 9-5 Aero, but the owner describes the car as "the car jerks when you go to accelerate and the engine light starts blinking". My first instinct would be either the throttle body or the DIC, but never having owned a 9-5 I'm not sure... The owner has a relatively low sale price and the rest of the car is in fantastic shape.

What do you guys think, am I correct in thinking that it's either the DIC or the throttle body, or should I just walk away?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

I've recently been given the chance to purchase an 07 9-5 Aero, but the owner describes the car as "the car jerks when you go to accelerate and the engine light starts blinking". My first instinct would be either the throttle body or the DIC, but never having owned a 9-5 I'm not sure... The owner has a relatively low sale price and the rest of the car is in fantastic shape.

What do you guys think, am I correct in thinking that it's either the DIC or the throttle body, or should I just walk away?
So...it could be those things. It could also be something super simple, like one of the air intake hoses popped off. This has happened to me before, and you will definitely get jerking/stalling if those hoses aren't on.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
You’re getting some really stellar advice here.
More to the point. What is going on with the car is almost always just a broken hose or a loose connection.
I would not worry about it. A good tech can sort it out quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on how much, the color, and transmission type.
2007 Aero, Black, Automatic (unfortunately), 79k miles

If the price was right I'd grab it.
That's what I'm leaning towards, it is in pretty good shape with a service history. From what I've gathered the current owner isn't very mechanically inclined and doesn't know what's wrong with it.

The owner wants less than $700 which I think is a steal for its condition and mileage, the only problem is that my tow vehicle suffered a recent spontaneous engine failure so I would have to try and fix it on the spot and limp it home

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,522 Posts
$700? I'd snap that up in a heartbeat!
^^^^^^ This x10000!!!! $700?! That's insane!!!!! Even if you had to dump another $700, that's still a bargain at $1400. Grab a DIC swap it when you get there and take it easy on the drive home. You can't go wrong at that price!

·
Registered
7,781 Posts

The usual suspect of a CEL blinking under acceleration or load is the DIC. But as others have pointed out vacuum leaks, loose connection on charge air tube, etc could also be the case. But I'd bet it's the DIC

·
Registered
599 Posts
Bargain at twice the price. Seriously, buy it today and have it towed or rent a pickup and uhaul flatbed trailer.

Even if the engine block were cracked in two (its not) you could make your money back in selling parts.

No brainer, I'd buy this today if I knew where it was.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
2007 Aero, Black, Automatic (unfortunately), 79k miles

That's what I'm leaning towards, it is in pretty good shape with a service history. From what I've gathered the current owner isn't very mechanically inclined and doesn't know what's wrong with it.

The owner wants less than $700 which I think is a steal for its condition and mileage, the only problem is that my tow vehicle suffered a recent spontaneous engine failure so I would have to try and fix it on the spot and limp it home
Buy it for me. I will arrange shipping to Finland in container.

·
Registered
553 Posts
As some others have suggested, a good first step would be to ensure that the charge air tube is securely fastened to the top of the throttle body. It can work loose, and rest there looking like everything is normal, but then under load cause the exact symptoms you describe. A search here on the forum will show many examples of others' experiences.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts