SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so as many of you may know, I've been practically begging for an 8v turbo in decent shape in Toronto for years. Well there's one listed at decent price in great shape on autotrader. Going to look at it (with cash in hand) in the morning. Why am I posting about a car I don't have yet? Because I don't want anyone snatching it on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) :cheesy: :evil:
82 8v turbo
180km
Charcoal grey/grey cloth interior.
5spd
California car...rust not an issue!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
T8

Welcome to the T8 crew!

Will you be joining us on the Perf Mods n tuning in a week or so then?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My experience with Saabs thus far has been do as little to keep running as possible and drive the wheels off or for the nicer ones, fix and sell. This (if I get it) would be the first time I bought one in good shape that I intended to do proper work on with decent parts and keep for a long, long time. So I suspect that I will spend some time and $ getting it in perfect order before I consider pushing it. Also the GF will be driving this one, so maybe we keep the power down until she masters manual shifting.

·
Registered
818 Posts
jetman said:
do as little to keep running as possible and drive the wheels off
That statement is to very very true! :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Jetman,

Is that the one that's around Queen/Sorauren? There's one that I see w/ a SALE sign in the window around there all the time . . . charcoal, would have guessed it an 85 or 86. Never noticed if it's a turbo or not.

Good luck!

cheers,

aleks.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ooh, no, thanks for the heads up though. Maybe I should start offering a finder's fee!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Go for it man! ;) I'd love to find another 82-84 8 valve turbo that never battled through the winters as much mine has. Held up better than any other car I have had in it though.Good Luck! :cheesy: Pat

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
sorry (i don't want to bash your fun), but didn't the 82' have the timing chain issue?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
woywitka said:
sorry (i don't want to bash your fun), but didn't the 82' have the timing chain issue?
Nothing I'm worried about. If it came down to it, I have a new chain, gasket set and updated guides sitting around from another job I never got around to. I welcome the chance to yank the engine!
Also, by this time its either not an issue or already taken care of.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Man, if you're looking for one I'll keep my eyes open - there's about a billion 900's in our area, sometimes they're for sale. Been seeing a LOT of pre-facelifts around lately . . .

Let us know how it goes!

aleks.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. So I've seen the car and now I have questions. I like it enough. It has the usual issues: cracked dash, sagging passenger seat, passenger window (crank) doesn't move.

Also, clutch action seemed low to the floor. Held well though through the power. Is this adjustable or a sign of a clutch near the end?
No Vac hose from the vavle cover to the throttle body, but it still ran fine(ish) I was suprised because usually if you pull that one or yank the oil dip stick the cars will stall or stumble. So I'm wondering how far out of perfect tune it is and what they've done to get it to idle and run.
When I drove it it pulled well and the turbo went towards the red but at about 3500-4000 it cut out until the revs fell a bunch and then ran perfectly up to that point. (wastegate issues?)
The car is ealry MY '82 so it has no APC, can this be added from a parts car or are there wiring issues and other hassles.
Tranny was a touch notchy, but for the age it was about the same as the other cars ('81, 2X'84, 85) that I've had.
He's asking C$1200, but I think I'll offer C$800 and just walk away if he doesnt want to do a deal at that price. I have parts for everything unless it needs ball joints or brake pads, but those aren't expensive.
Very tight handling, new rad, new heater core, no bad engine noises. Three little surface rust spots that have "come on in the last year" Car needs a paint job though.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hi, If it were me , I would pull all the spark plugs while its cold and have a close look .I also would disconnect the hose to the distributor advance , and suck on it to see if it can still hold vacuum . You might have a rotted out hose leak ,or a bad coil wire causing all the problems. Sounds like a nice old turbo to play with though! ;) Pat

·
Banned
637 Posts
I do hope it reaaaly ..does have 'No Rust' ..cuz frankly Mate,
that thing sounds like a POS. and the price should be maybe $300 cdn.
Could you not find a decent condition 900 'S' and insert a tubo engine.. even the wiring harness is in place already... a relatively easy swap and you would'nt be paying 'extra' for a clapped out turbo unit.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It really does only have 3 quarter sized surface spots. The engine despite some nonsense is well maintained and running well. The interior isn't destroyed, just normal stuff for models of that age. I have a few parts cars. Even a mint entire interior I could swap in. Its certainly not in parts car shape. Definately a decent runner. Definately has some good talk down points too.

Pat, is the vaccum advance the same for turbo and non turbo models? I have several distributors around.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
jetman said:
Pat, is the vacuum advance the same for turbo and non turbo models? I have several distributors around.
In the interchange search I come up with 3 different distributor part numbers in 82. turbo ,turbo apc,and the non turbo. So I am not really shure. The reason I even mentioned it was mine was blown and pluged when I got my car and it just ran only fair .Funny how it got better with age.:cheesy: Pat

edit; I just found 3 different part numbers on the Distributor vacuum advance.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
jetman said:
is the vaccum advance the same for turbo and non turbo models? I have several distributors around.
The vacuum advance is different. The Turbo has a much larger unit. Prices are quite different too. A non-turbo costs $23, but your '82 will cost $63 according to . . . http://www.thesaabsite.com/900old/c900ignition.htm

Almost all of these are broken on cars in the junkyard. Maybe 1 in 10 is OK.

I ordered my non-turbo vacuum advance from them.

The shifting might be improved my simply changing the gearbox oil. It might still be original :eek:

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that the vaccum advance wasn't even connected. I could see it clearly. So that will sort that out.

I'm going to see if a deal can be made tomorrow or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts