SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals, I have an engine swap question on my 2002, 9-5. I'm thinking of replacing my 2002 B235E with a 2007 B235R. I have both blocks and both need new pistons (I have already ordered 90.5mm Wossner pistons.) I'd be swapping for the updated crankcase ventilation system, bigger trap w/huge nipple sticking into the big block hole. I'd use the smaller E turbo (w/new core,) on it so I don't need to tune it. My question is about the B235R throttle body that's different than my 2002. It has the big nipple near the base and big hose that goes to the oil trap. Will the newer R throttle body plug and play the same as the my E throttle body, and work with my ECU the same? If not is there a simple remedy? Of should I put the Wossner pistons in my E block and stick with the modified (as recommended,) crankcase ventilation system and call it a day? Thank you!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
The updated throttle body is part of the updated PCV. As long as you have all of the plumbing from the 2007 you can swap that engine and TB into the car without any issues. This includes all of the "pipes" as well as the Cobra since the method that the PCV attached to the top of the cobra changed.

If you have the Mitsubishi turbo I'd use that one, they are definitely more robust. you don't NEED a tune to make it work, it'll work with the stock E tune, but you CAN at some point drop a tune in there and have more fun! The only thing you'll notice is a slight bit more turbo lag since the Mitsubishi takes a bit longer to spool, but I've heard from others that it's barely noticeable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! The throttle body plug and play was my huge concern as I have all the plumbing for the ventilation system from my donor car, .... except I broke the oil trap while removing it and will have to buy a new one. (Was the messiest engine I've ever seen, turbo quit spinning and it spit oil everywhere!)
So given the choice between these two blocks and vent systems, you'd use the newer block? I'd use the bigger turbo then, that's good news! Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I'd use which ever block is in better shape since you're going to tear into it in the first place.

Sure the post-04 block has the updated PCV but in reality if you are rebuilding it and have the PCV update and use synthetic oil there is nearly no risk to the older block as well. My 03 Aero had 125K on it when I first dropped the pan and there was no sludge at all, but it had always used Mobil1 since new. Same with my son's 99 LPT, used Mobil 1 since 16K and not a bit of sludge in it.

If the Mitsubishi turbo is in good shape i'd use it. It's more robust and can eventually get you more power. Oh and if you're not going to build a 300+ hp machine there is no reason to use the forged pistons. Get some good stock pistons and put new rings on them. I have a set of B235 pistons sitting around here somewhere. (one of them is a paperweight on my desk) Just make sure they're the same manufacturer (on the underside) and the same size (A, B or AB)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts