SaabCentral Forums banner

5041 - 5060 of 5072 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Off topic

Off topic but what model would you guys recommend for a performance project?
I’m thinking either Saab 900 2.0t or Saab 9-3 2.0t
Obviously B204 engine..

I’m confused beer the two models, any advice?

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
I’m confused beer the two models, any advice?
It's too much beer that's confusing you. :cheesy:

You should probably start your own new thread for this so that you can get all your questions answered in one spot. We don't mind new threads around here, they give better focus. We divert a bit here from pics, but we probably don't want a long diversion into your build.

We need some more information from you: What are your HP goals? Street car or track car? Would you be comfortable swapping an engine or with internals? What's your budget?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haha, it was the predictive text that changed “between” into beer 😂
Thanks for your reply
I want to build a street legal with 400-500bhp
Preferably a coupe shape
Regarding engine swap/changing internals it’s not something I’ve done before but would be fine doing it with help from friends with mechanical experience

I just don’t know much about saabs, are the new gen better at handling or the old gen are better?

Budget I haven’t set yet but would like to keep it as cheap as possible

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
Haha, it was the predictive text that changed “between” into beer ��
Thanks for your reply
I want to build a street legal with 400-500bhp
Preferably a coupe shape
Regarding engine swap/changing internals it’s not something I’ve done before but would be fine doing it with help from friends with mechanical experience

I just don’t know much about saabs, are the new gen better at handling or the old gen are better?

Budget I haven’t set yet but would like to keep it as cheap as possible
Long wait for my reply... They have roughly the same suspensions. The only difference is that they changed the design of the strut mounts and springs a little in the OG 9-3 and due to age, there are more spring options for the OG9-3 vs. the NG 900. The brake upgrade options are the same for both.

For HP, you'd need to swap pistons to go over 300HP on a T7 motor (OG 9-3 2000+). The NG900 and '99 9-3 T5 motor would do probably that much without upgrading to forged pistons although most builders would advise doing it. Do some reading in the modifications forum to learn about various upgrades. There are some major build threads out there from the past where guys went over 400HP. You can learn a lot from reading them.

If you want to keep it less expensive, go for less expensive. Unless you buy a built car, you'll need to spend to $1000 in parts on the suspension. Depending on how you put your brake upgrade together (used vs. new parts), $300+. You'll still need tires and maybe wheels. That's before you get to the engine... for a modified turbo, an ECU tune, injectors, pump, down-pipe, misc other stuff... I'd be thinking $1500-$2000. If you can find used parts you can save a lot.

5041 - 5060 of 5072 Posts