SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2003 9-3 SE vert, 2006 9-3 Arc vert
65 Posts
How many of the OPs are still driving their Saabs!?? I haven't been on here's for a while, just bought#2, want to upgrade the sound but woud like to keep the original equipment in dash. Newbie to me is the '06 9-3 Arc vert. Any advice would be great! Going to search the forum for info as well but this thread came up first, and it's actually one of the things I was hoping to see!

Looking for best sounding speakers to use with OE that won't break the bank(purchasing the car already did! Lol) Focus music- EDM, house, rock(5FDP). Ok general all around but can handle bass lol.

Also, having a hard time finding much on this car, any quirks etc I should be aware of?

Thanks!!
Liz

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok! Let's see here.

Year/Model car: 1984 900 Turbo sedan
Head Unit: JVC
Amplifier: N/A
Speakers: Sony all around
Extra parts needed for fitting: wires, new screws, cutting rear shelf
Pros/Cons of setup: Better than the half dead stock audio! Rear speakers too heavy for flimsy cardboard rear shelf
Overall cost: $186

Year/Model car: 2002 9-5 Linear Sportcombi
Head Unit: JVC Double DIN
Amplifier: Kicker 500 watt
Speakers:
Dash: Pioneer
Doors: Alpines front, Pioneer rear
Subs: Rockford P1 x2
Extra parts needed for fitting: Steering wheel control adapter, wires, new battery, some modification for rear door speaker, some modification for amp to be hidden, Factory amp bypass
Pros/Cons of setup: My wagon is now a bass box, and it sounds so good. But...so much wiring!
Overall cost: $3734.83

Year/Model car: 2006 9-3 Aero SS
Head Unit: Factory ICM3
Amplifier: Factory/Alpine
Speakers:
Dash: Factory
Doors: Memphis Audio
Rear: Factory Pioneer
Sub: Memphis 10 inch
Extra parts needed for fitting: Transit Blu Bluetooth adaptor for handsfree calling and audio streaming, amp kit, low pass signal adaptor for RCA connection.
Pros/Cons of setup: Not super super powerful, but great low end, no steering wheel controls to change audio tracks when in BT
Overall cost: $742.14

·
Registered
1 Posts
Year/Model car: Saab 9-3 2008 Convertible, Lynx Yellow
Head Unit: JVC KW-M560BT
Amplifier and Speakers: Stock (for now)
Extra parts needed for fitting: ProClip for Iphone
Pros/Cons of setup: Professional Set-Up (except for ProClip)
Overall cost: $1000

This is the first time I have posted, but I thought some here might be interested in my new investment for my Saab 9-3.

I had a JVC KW-M560BT professionally installed and then added a ProClip mount for my Iphone for Carplay.

I had cords, so I paper-crafted a little paper enclosure to hide them! (any other suggestions greatly appreciated).

Overall, I am quite happy with the set up!

David

·
Registered
1 Posts
Year/Model car:
1999 Saab 9-3 convertible
Head Unit:
Kenwood DDX276BT
Amplifier:
Crunch GTRII-900.4 (highs)
Alphasonik v1800.1d (sub)
Speakers:
Hifonics Zeus Series 3.5" ZS35CX (dash)
Kicker 40CSS654 (front door)
Kicker 40CSS654 (rear side pillar)
2- 10" Rockford Fosgate P3D4-10
Ported box
Pros/Cons of setup:
Pros: Super clear, sounds much better than stock
Cons: Car is a convertible, so it's hard to keep the bass in when the top is up

Overall cost:
N/a, cause I'm always adding and changing stuff

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here are mine that I did in 2019-2020

Year/Model car:
2008 Saab 9-5 Aero - My favorite daily driver
Head Unit:
Joying 10.1inch Android
Amplifier:
Stock and Active Sub in boot
Speakers:
Stock + twin active sub
Pros/Cons of setup:
Pros: Fills up the massive dead space of the Dame Edna dash, sounds great, awesome navigation, audio apps, hands-free, reverse cam, steering controls
Cons: Had to fit a toggle switch for the steering controls because having the radio connected stops control of the SID and flappy paddles. I can now switch between them. 10.1" is slightly too big as it prevents the use of the dash cup holder, but I removed this from my previous car.

Overall cost:
The radio was £300, the twin sub was £50 on facebay!
20190822_202918 (2).jpg

Year/Model car:
Saab 9-3 Convertible
Head Unit:
Modified ICM3 with Android
Amplifier:
Stock
Speakers:
Stock
Pros/Cons of setup:
Pros: Looks Stock! Massively improved functionality, touch screen, any navigation app, any audio app, videos ect
Cons: Takes about a minute to boot and no reverse cam or other refinements that you find in a dedicated head unit
20200812_202555.jpg

Year/Model car:
Saab 9-3 Sport
Head Unit:
Joying 10.1inch Android
Amplifier:
Edge 4 channel
Speakers:
Stock dash and parcel shelf mids and tweeters powered by head unit
Stock door speakers and parcel shelf 6x9s powered by 4 channel amp
Pros/Cons of setup:
Pros: Big touch screen but around the same size as ICM unit, so cup holder and vents still usable. Car warning sounds still present. Sounds better than stock. Awesome navigation, audio apps, hands-free, reverse cam, steering controls
Cons: Time consuming and fiddly install to bypass the ICM and fiber optic system, required fabricated bezel to mount in ICM location

41 - 45 of 45 Posts