SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Your thoughtful installation pleases me. Really well thought out components. Brilliant wiring. It's got to sound really warm. Never seen the neutrik speakon sockets. That is a great idea!

Hey...ever get annoyed with your steering wheel being on the wrong side? ;)

Here is some saabcentral notes on my 9-3 install.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks. It's a fairly balanced setup, but it probably does air on the warm side. The speakon sockets are great, I use a lot of neutrik connectors at work and find them to be well engineered and very useful.
I spent today replacing the speaker cables front to back with new 4 core stuff which suits the speakon plugs better. I fitted colour bands at both ends which identifies the cable (Red/Blue/Green)

BTW, the steering wheel is on the right side ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Infinity Kappa 40.2cs component speakers in the dash of my '97 9000 CSE which is currently selling on Pittsburgh Craigslist and that "other" Saab "net" place and which will be for sale in the classifieds here when I accumulate sufficient posts

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are there any special adaptors needed for an aftermarket head unit on a 2000 OG9-3?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are there any special adaptors needed for an aftermarket head unit on a 2000 OG9-3?
Oddly enough I have a Pioneer that was yanked out of my wife's '99 OG 9-3 sitting here (I need to tidy up - car's been gone since 2010!)

It's just a standard single DIN - but I think it was installed with a filler kit that included a storage pocket. Probably a Metra or a Scosche kit.

I know the harness is easy to find and cheap - eBay, Crutchfield, Sonicelectronix etc.

Here's a pic of our old 9-3, so you can get an idea of how it fits.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oddly enough I have a Pioneer that was yanked out of my wife's '99 OG 9-3 sitting here (I need to tidy up - car's been gone since 2010!)

It's just a standard single DIN - but I think it was installed with a filler kit that included a storage pocket. Probably a Metra or a Scosche kit.

I know the harness is easy to find and cheap - eBay, Crutchfield, Sonicelectronix etc.

Here's a pic of our old 9-3, so you can get an idea of how it fits.
Does it have an Aux port or USB connection? Is it for sale?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Saab 93 HOT convertible

2000 model

Custom built spec box with a 10" 1000rms DVC Targa subwoofer
Targa 2800rms Monoblock amplifier
Targa double din DVD head unit
Targa 6.5inch splits front and back
Targa super tweeters on the dash

No modifications needed but still under construction.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Year/Model car: 2001 9-5 Aero
Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P4400BH Double DIN
Amplifier(s): All Pioneer Digital Amplification. Separate Front Stage/Subwoofer Amps.
Speakers: Diamond Audio Hex Series Components w/silk tweeters
Subwoofers: x2 Pioneer Shallow Mount 10" in custom sealed enclosure

In the boot:

In the back I removed the OnStar unit to make room for the amplifier rack. Previously I had a class AB Precision Power amplifier running the whole show but it was really straining our stock alternator so I switched to Pioneer digital amps noted above and problem solved. It's hinged at the rear (bolted to top edge of seat opening). I installed an exhaust fan to keep the air moving.

Tweeters. Utilizing the OEM speaker baskets from the dash I gutted them and installed the silk tweeters. Worked perfectly!

Upfront stuff:

Shown this previously but always cool, my dummy AS3 faceplate. I've got some magnets behind the trim piece and complimenting magnets on the back side of the OEM face. Just pops right on and off with the cassette as the handle.

For easy music and video I integrated a card reader in to the coin holder. Nice and tidy like.

Power connections:

I was shooting for something else here but you can see the wiring upgrade completed. The grounding wires, all the way to the alternator is 0 gauge.

This was a little easter egg from Casey and Kelly. Made me happy.

And that's some of my stuff. This winter has me beginning a whole new build in the Viggen ;ol;

Would this be a good radio to use with the OEM speakers and amp? Did the trim ring come with the radio?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2001 9-3 HB
- Head Unit JVC KD-R480
- Universal 0.5 DIN pocket
- Some el cheapo 6x9 40W speakers I got for my test bench (which sound incredibly good).
- I removed the original grills (they were busted anyways).

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
2000 9-5 Aero

Head Unit, Soundstream VRN-DD7HB

Doors, Soundstream Arachnid 6.5" Components front and rear.

Rear Deck, Soundstream 6x9" pro audio midrange drivers.

Dash, DS18 Mid Hi range 3.5" elite series

Amp, Orion Cobalt 4800 dyno'd at 1100 watts.

Wire, Soundstream 4 gauge Amplifier Installation kit

Sub, Savrard Hi-Q 8" in a ported enclosure tuned to 37hz.

My goal is to hit in the 140's at the headrest with a single 8" Sub. I managed 137dbs with a Soundstream R3.8 but that's as far as it would go so I upgraded to the Savard. It's just about through its break in period and I'll soon find out if my goal is attainable.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Figured I'd post a bit here with what I've done. Nothing major, and even used some OEM parts.

Year/Model car: 2007 9-3 SS Base Stereo version
Head Unit: Original GM Stereo w/Aux connected to Kinivo BTC450
Amplifier: Stock base-model amp plus added an Alpine MRP-F240 for 6x9 sub duty
Speakers: Stock trash speakers EXCEPT upgraded dash to Kicker 43DSC3504 3-1/2 Inch (yes, even kicker was an upgrade) and added SAAB/Pioneer OEM 6x9 woofers as subs.
Extra parts needed for fitting: Plywood to mount amp (see pics) and misc wiring.
Pros/Cons of setup: Massive improvement in sound with actual tweeters on the dash Kickers. The 6x9 woofer/subs actually work way better than I expected. I had considered adding a stand-alone sub, but I still grin with what I have. Kinivo BT w/ AptX sounds incredible.
Overall cost: TOTAL $140
Kinivo - $35
Alpine amp - FREE
Kicker 3.5s - $35
6x9s - $50
Misc - About $20

Pic w/ stock stereo and Kinovo (small android phone runs Torque app).

Rear deck w/ cover off to show OEM 6x9 woofers.

Amp install. I've cleaned up the wiring. No heat issues.

;ol;:D;ol;

·
Registered
480 Posts
Can't decide on an Alpine double din CD/MD/Tuner or a Sony double din CD/Cassette/Tuner to replace the duff nav unit in my '05 Aero. But when I have decided I'll be back here :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys, My Head Unit in my 2007 9-5 won't let me turn UP the Brightness OR Contrast - the '+' sign side does not work! (Of course they are nearly dark w/ my fiddling with it - arggh!) Anyway, does the head unit from a year Greater than 2007 work instead? If so, which year has an upgraded sound system - that's plug & play? Sorry, but I don't know Beans about putting these things in! Alternatively, which aftermarket unit is also Plug & Play- maybe w/ bluetooth & USB ports?
(I also want my steering wheel controls to still work, so there's that!) I don't plan to change my Harmon Kardon speakers - they put out enough - but more 'crispness' would be great! Finally, do they make one w/ a NAV system to connect to the GPS antennae in the car? I have a 6-disk cd changer and the Sat-Nav radio currently. (Just got the car last year, and haven't invested in all the CD Maps for Navigation, and, yes - I bought a new battery and the time doesn't work since I took it loose. Is there ANYTHING out there that can be installed 'Plug & Play?)
Email me @ [email protected] if you have a suggestion, as I don't check this forum as often as I should! I have learned a lot from this forum and let me say - you guys make a great community!!! Don't mind phone calls or texts either - if that is easier for you guys!
I live in Bowie, MD, (20716), and my next task is to find someone w/ a Tech II & a Saab card to fix my daytime running lights, and maybe find a way to keep power to the cig lighter - without draining the battery!

I love my Saab!
-tim kizzie
(301) 821-0460
()[email protected])

·
Registered
96 Posts

Year/Model car: 2010 9-3 Convertible
Head Unit: Sony XAV-AX100
Amplifier:
Stock
Speakers:
Stock
Extra parts needed for fitting:
Dash kit, wiring harness adapter with steering wheel control, antenna adapter
Pros/Cons of setup:
Android Auto/CarPlay, always up to date maps, looks and sounds great.
Overall cost:
About $535

·
Registered
74 Posts
2009 9-3 2.8L XWD

Kenwood DMX905S

Stock Bose speakers and Amp

Used the InCarTec harness w/ SWC and a patch lead, spliced the wires from the HU to the harness myself.

PROS: Wireless Android Auto, HU look like it belongs there (not stock, but it belongs), Speakers are powered by the Bose amp AND the Kenwood amp, the volume went up and sounds better. Music sounds much better with a custom EQ. Voice activation and controls.

CONS: Speakers get distorted at max volume. It's hard to call this a con because they come in clearly and sound better when they are louder than the stock HU, but at the loudest level the new HU can be turned up too there can be a little distortion.

OVERALL COST: was about $550 for the head unit and InCarTec harness. Although I got a refurbished Exelon unit and just bought a 30 dollar warranty that lasts 2 years, this saved me about $320 off the cost of a new HU that costs $650 or more

Attachments

21 - 40 of 44 Posts