SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a push to purchase an exhaust for my 07 Aero and would like to hear what others went with and hopefully get to hear/watch some video clips.
(i know there are a bunch on youtube, but few include the exact set up)

i plan on going with the GS DP and MP catless, but not sure on what i want to do from there back.

to start the thread with a video, he's my current stock sound on a cold start, sounds somewhat good at start up with a little gas, but then gets a little too quiet at idle for my liking.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have the catless GS downpipe and midpipe, the rest is stock TX system.
It's really loud on cold startup, it does quiet down once it warms up. It's not much louder then stock while cruising, but it screams once you open her up.
It sound raspy when cold, but much better when it warms up.
I've had strangers compliment me on the exhaust note multiple time.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the catless GS downpipe and midpipe, the rest is stock TX system.
It's really loud on cold startup, it does quiet down once it warms up. It's not much louder then stock while cruising, but it screams once you open her up.
It sound raspy when cold, but much better when it warms up.
I've had strangers compliment me on the exhaust note multiple time.
that's good to hear about it being slightly louder than stock while cursing.

i love the stock sound, just wish it was lightly louder, also with mine was a TurboX

Your taking "cold start" very seriously I see...... :)

Sean
haha indeed! we had a rough winter here, finally getting a little nicer, so time to do exhaust.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Trust me, it's much louder when you give her. I would almost say it's a little too loud, if it weren't for the fact that it's so quiet while cruising.
Overall, I really like the rumble it puts out, although my turbo whistles much louder then the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Trust me, it's much louder when you give her. I would almost say it's a little too loud, if it weren't for the fact that it's so quiet while cruising.
Overall, I really like the rumble it puts out, although my turbo whistles much louder then the exhaust.
I have the GS midpipe with optional cat and that was way too loud for me. Even had other road users staring at me in disbelief. It was like a WTF look on their face when I would come up beside them on any type of open throttle. Will post a clip of how my car sounds shortly, running the stock midpipe.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It's funny Nijee, when you add that same GS mid pipe to the Aero cars without the optinal cat it doesn't seem to do a thing to increase volume.

The Turbo X uses a different, and much smaller, resonator before the pipes split at the back, and the back boxes are more free flowing.

I too love the note of the stock Aero set up, but it just needs much more volume. I was going to try the GS midpipe without cat and remove the Aero resonator......or leave it all alone and try some Borla back boxes....

Overall, I think the Aero back boxes are just waaaaaaaay too effective....

Sean

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have the GS catless DP and GS midpipe with the high-flow cat option, bolted up to the Hirsch catback system (which has no resonators -- just the 2 mufflers).

Here it is with just the Hirsch catback and stock MP/DP: https://s3.amazonaws.com/zissou/saab_cold_start.mp3

And here it is with the Hirsch catback + GS MP/DP as described above: https://s3.amazonaws.com/zissou/FULL_exhaust_cold_start.mp3

I agree that the stock Aero exhaust does too good of job restricting the sound. Adding the Hirsch system made a huge difference in sound. Adding the GS pipes to that system increased the cold start sound a lot and the WOT sound to a "ridiculous" level. Cruising around town it isn't too bad at all, and highway driving is perfect -- no drone to speak of. I was nervous that the GS pipes would be too loud but I have really come to like the level of noise. It is very controllable.

Another thing worth noting is that with the cat in the GS midpipe, I get no unwanted smells coming from the car. The cat seems to be doing a great job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What tune do you have? That Maxima really walked on you...what mods did he have? auto or manual?

·
Registered
862 Posts
What tune do you have? That Maxima really walked on you...what mods did he have? auto or manual?
Both cars are manual, he had I/H/E on slicks and some other things.
I had a massive boost leak, when I say massive, I mean while I was testing it afterwards, it would not hold any pressure once the compressor was disconnected.
My mods then were:
GS catless downpipe/midpipe, para pat intercooler piping, intake, ETS intercooler, vtuned, coilovers, torque mount insert...some other bits.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here is a GoPro video I did last night. There is an unpleasant amount of creaking noises from the camera case (its the waterproof case, which GoPro says is not ideal for <100mph recordings). There are 3 acceleration sounds, with the last 2 being quick blips under a bridge. Anyways, not the greatest video, but figured still might be entertaining enough.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tywaavek0nwxp8a/gopro_vid.m4v

Also, here is a video from a dyno I did a few weeks ago:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cs44ehsdgfzjwu1/20140402_092325.mp4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts