SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after dropping 1000+ into my 900 im a bit peeved to see there are still more problems that should have been fixed. the dealer is stumped and so am i. So i wanna upgrade. I have found this nice lookin' 9-3.

http://www.freemanmotor.com/portlan...,3382,3502,3503,3404,3393,3334,3450,3333,3484

What kind of problems can i expect to see at these miles? i wanna know everything. im gonna look at it today, gonna check the service records and all that stuff.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
From what I read any car is no better than its repair facility/dealer...The dealer being stumped is not good - a shame they do not work together and share infomation..The problems are pretty much the same.
At between 100 and 150K miles, renew the DIC, the CPS and the FP...But mine has more than this, the fuel pump and crankshaft position sensor are still good:cheesy:
Note how well the automatic transmission fared (except in 2003) in the latest CU(owned by Toyota ??)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i took it for a test drive. the ride is not as smooth as my 900(surprising). the clutch is very loose. not sure if that is good or bad. there is what appears to be moisture in the dash board where the speedometer is(is it worth the time to fix it?). the spoiler is coming off at one end and the memory seat panel on the driver side is coming off(i assume its an easy fix). all in all everything works. the sound system is good. the carfax shows regular maintainence by the second owner. how am i lookin guys? worth 5000$??(after my 900 trade in)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Its a 99; and it seems to have poor upkeep from the problems you stated. It may not have any major issues; but then again it may. People who let a car fall into that state visually are often even worse about the stuff they can't see (IE if you don't see it it don't exist... :cheesy: )

For a questionable car such as this I wouldn't be paying more than $5k TOTAL; certainly not $5k after a trade. Look a bit more and find something solid with a maintenance history ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
erm. good point. they seem pretty firm on the price. but every 9-3 out there is at least 8 or 9 grand. :cry:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
$8-9k on a 99 model with good maintenance records and solid overall exterior/interior is probably about right; it's just with the issues you describe I would guess that particular one has more problems just waiting for you to buy. :lol:

Alternative is to talk to Carmax (do you have them there?) about selling your car; and buy one private sale if needed. Carmax will usually give you a fair price; sometimes even better than trade in. That's how I sold my 99; and they gave me $1400 more than the dealer was willing to in trade.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
LOL very true, I wasn't even thinking about what the price ought to be ;oops: :cheesy:

·
Banned
736 Posts
you should just buy mine!

look around and find a good deal, something with low miles and records is the best. that black 9-3 is not worth 5k plus trade.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not worth that much given the things you said seemed iffy. Also, is there a dent in the front driver side fender or is that a reflection?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts