SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I spent most of my morning searching around but haven't been able to come up with anything conclusive. Anyway, I have a 96 9000CSE and I have a feeling I'm not getting full boost. The BOV might be going, although I'm no expert on turbo systems. I just got back from a test run so here's the deal...

Run the car gently until warmup. When I get to around 2500 or so in 2nd gear the BOV(?) lets off a big "hoot" sound. It only does this one time shortly after I start driving. I definitely notice this is louder now that it's getting colder out. Once the car is warmed up and under normal driving the boost needle is around or a little under the split from white to yellow on the gauge. WOT never brings it past half way into the yellow. The car still pulls strong and it seems to hold boost well. The needle will slowly start to drop after a few seconds at WOT. You can still hear the BOV dump, but wind noise drowns it out around 40-45 mph. Does this sound normal for these cars? From the looking around I did I'm not sure whether the BOV, APC, or some other abbreviation might be going bad, or if all is well and my boost gauge just isn't reading properly. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sounds like the BOV is blowing too early and not closing properly thereafter.
I would remove the BOV and do a visual check for obvious faults. Also, see if the BOV lets air through when you blow into the nipple tube at the top of the BOV. If you detect any problems, replace the BOV.

If everything looks OK, block off both 1" hose ends that connect to the BOV, take a test run on a long, straight, lonely road, and see if the boost increases (should easily go to end of yellow - beginning of red).
At the end, take your foot off the accelerator slowly, since your turbo is not now being protected by the BOV from back-pressures!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts