SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As you can see in my profile, i have a 96 900s. this is a 2.3 non turbo automatic. While the thing is Very fun to drive, I have to say im lusting for more horsepower. I think my car is only rates for about 150-160 hp, and even the 2.0t engine is rated for 185.

So what im wondering is, is it possible to put a turbo on a non turbo car? I was entertaining the idea of getting the same turbo that is on the viggen model (I lust after that car) and putting it under my hood. I guess I'm thinking viggen 2.3T, mine 2.3 no T, simple fix? no? I know this could cost Several thousand dollars, But im wondering what the ballpark might be.

Anyways, im wondering:
A) is it possible?
B)How much would it cost?
C) are there any other performance enhancements i can do to get more out of the car?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Unfortunately, it's nowhere near as simple as just slapping on a turbo. I'll give you a brief understanding of why, then recommend that you search the boards for some fuller knowledge on the conversion issue (which, as you might guess, has been asked a gazillion times :D)

You engine has a higher compression ratio that the Viggen, so you wouldn't be able to run anywhere near as much boost as the Viggen (or any Saab turbo.) Even if you changed the connecting rods and pistons to get the proper CR, your engine management system is completely different, and you'd need to get the entire computer and wiring harness from a turbo car. Your intake system is different, as is your exhaust system downpipe. You'd need an intercooler and the requisite piping, as well as the oil supply and cooling lines and fittings for the turbo. And so on.

If you're an experienced mechanic it might be possible to put an aftermarket turbo and boost controller on the car without needing to swap much. You could actually put an intercooler on pretty easily. But you'd need to know exactly how to manage air/fuel ratios, boost levels, injector duty cycles, etc.....all the stuff to keep your engine from going kaplooey when you tried to show off to friends.

It would be a lot easier to find a wrecked turbo car -- maybe something that was rear ended or hit hard from the side -- and swap out the engine, computer, downpipe and other bits. But that's a LOT of time, effort and money....You might be able to find a decent parts car for $1,000 or so.

As far as performance for a naturally aspirated (n/a) car like yours, search the board for what some of the other guys have done. Maybe a bigger intake to start...

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The turbo conversion idea has been kicked around a bunch of times, but the consensus is that it's a HUGE project for all but the most hardcore mechanics, and most of them would probably just do an engine swap.

This might sound crazy, but why not see how much you can get for your car? If you can spare two weekends to totally detail it -- clean EVERYTHING, even places you can't see -- then try to sell it, you could recoup your investment and maybe make a little something to put toward another Saab.

It's possible to find decent SE models, with maybe one or two mechanical or cosmetic flaws, for under $4,000...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts