SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking and searching on this site for about 4 months now and this is my first post.:cool:

We just cosigned for my Brother in law to buy a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE. He loves it. I hate to admit it but so do I.

I've had BMWs for the most part and we currently have a 06 Jetta TDI which is my wifes car. I have a Toyota FZJ80 with a few mods. But, I miss having a car to tinker with. After I did a little research, It seems like Saabs can be bought for decent prices and already come some what sporty.

I'm looking to keep my car purchase price down and by a first or second year of a Saab NG900. I want a 4 door 5 speed turbo model with the goal of putting a diesel engine in it at some point. My questions are:

Is this too early of a year to get to try and tune it?
Whats the big difference between the 900 and the 9-3?
Any info on VW or mercedes Diesels in these cars?

thanks

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Many of us have had that idea, the Euro diesels used an izuzu motor I think.

5 door 900 turbos shouldn't be too expensive, but the 99 9-3 is a great car in my opinion. First of the 9-3 revisions on the ng900, and last of the easier engine management.

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
Big difference is the roughly 1100 improvements to the 9-3 versus the NG900. It is essentially an NG900; SAAB decided to rename it to reflect these changes, presumably.

Just read the available site info on the 9-3 and the FAQ. After these cars, the SAAB lineup thereafter, IMO, became more generic and lost that "SAABiness", at least externally, that was inherent in the c900. They began to look like every other car out there.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Big difference is the roughly 1100 improvements to the 9-3 versus the NG900. It is essentially an NG900; SAAB decided to rename it to reflect these changes, presumably.
Lots of them were in fact improvements, but lots of them were just changes.

Good luck with the search, and if you do attempt a diesel conversion, be sure to document it. There will be bound to be someone else who will want to know what to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I've found a few 900 SEs. Some have blown engines and others seem to be running fine and are less than $2k I do like the turbo engines. its pretty nice. I'll probably buy a running one while I piece everything together.

I guess I'll drive a 900 SE and 9-3 and compare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts