SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, first off... i'm just gonna admit it, i've been playing with my new boost gauge, and Uma's turbo can push and hold 25 PSI into the cylinders ;oops: however, sometimes (not always) upon acceleration, whether boosting or not, and usually in the lower RPMs, but it happens in the higher RPMs too, sometimes she'll stutter and stumble while accelerating, and sometimes when boosting she'll get one if not more cylinders that either simply don't fire, or fire weakly enough to literally shake and rattle the car, you can feel it very well :x what did i do to her? :cry: remember, she doesn't always do it, sometimes she's smooth as butter

EDIT: oh yah, and on another topic, sometimes when i start from a stop, or come to a stop quickly i hear a single, quick *THUNK* from what feels/sounds like the front right area of the engine bay... CV joint going? suspension components shifting?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Holding 25 psi.? Stumbling? I would suspect a weak spark issue. Any ignition upgrades yet? My first suspect for the single thunk would be a motor-mount.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Mike , Should I pre write your next post ? Hi guys... Uma's head gasket seems ,,,, Or should it start with MY gearbox ,,,

25 psi is a ridiculous amount of boost to run on stock engine .

Your fuel cut out should have intercepted you at 14 psi , it obviously isnt doing its job .

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
overboost cut off switch is... disposed of :confused: and yes, i'm kinda worried about the headgasket... the gearbox not so much, because i only boost high in 4th and 5th, which if i understand correctly is... not as bad for it, lol

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
heh ... pretty soon Mike is going to have his own, personal category for CARFAX reports ... I can read it now "while appearing to be in good condition, the buyer should understand that this vehicle has been Miked" ....:roll:

Hey Mike - you know what - you might just be making a name for yourself - I can hear myself now - "Christina, if you Mike that Subaru again I'm not going to fix it" ....:cheesy:

Seriously - put the electronic nanny back on - set your boost at a reasonable level and treat Uma with a bit of respect.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I've done the sort of things Mike has...on a field/swamp 900 I was trying to kill before it went to the wreckers....

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
jetman said:
I've done the sort of things Mike has...on a field/swamp 900 I was trying to kill before it went to the wreckers....
ahh .. so you've Miked a car or two, eh? I have as well, but like you, they were destined for the crusher, were not my daily drivers and I didn't lavish funds on them right before I tried to see how much abuse they could take before throwing a rod ....;)

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Mike- if you wanna hotrod a car, get a pustang or a lamero. Not only are the drivetrains built tougher, but parts are much cheaper, especially in your neck of the woods.

Conversly, if you want to have a fast Saab then you're gonna have to do more than crank up the boost and wish for the best. You should probably think about wheels/tires/brakes/suspension before you add go fast goodies, and think about weight reduction as well.

You're trying to have your cake, and eat it too. ;)

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Is it stumbling or is it actually detonating and trying to push the crank backwards? :eek:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SteveTheFolkie said:
Seriously - put the electronic nanny back on - set your boost at a reasonable level and treat Uma with a bit of respect.
i um... i would put it back in, but i don't have it :confused: i haven't gotten it back yet

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
900t said:
Is it stumbling or is it actually detonating and trying to push the crank backwards? :eek:
i would hope it's not detonating at 5inHG of vacuum :eek:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i am convinced by your last 5 or 6 threads that your are actively making the worst decisions for your car. man, please dont kill uma, just use some common sense...and worry about the gearbox, talk to breakin5speeds on that one, i seem to recall something of a 25psi spg or some such jazz. honestly you are just asking to wear everything out, and blow something terribly.

it doesnt matter if you can hold with and sti when your engine blows and he drives away laughing. :eek:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i haven't raced it :lol: only had a lil too much fun on the highways around here ;oops: plus when certain calls go out on the rescue squad the boost limiter in my brain turns off :x

·
Registered
83 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
i haven't raced it :lol: only had a lil too much fun on the highways around here ;oops: plus when certain calls go out on the rescue squad the boost limiter in my brain turns off :x
Mike, I was going to defend you to a degree(about the overboost switch, not the 25 psi..), but now I get the idea you might be one of these dorks that uses the guise of fighting fires or something, to go racing as fast as you can, drive like a maniac, and be an all around menace. Please tell me this isn't true...:nono;

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I concur, you should take it down a few notches, Mike ;)

15PSI is plenty good for me in my 9000, and thats a heavier car, and I'm used to playing around in Lancia Integrales and Grand Nationals

Do yourself (and us) a favor, don't kill your c900!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
confusion said:
Mike, I was going to defend you to a degree(about the overboost switch, not the 25 psi..), but now I get the idea you might be one of these dorks that uses the guise of fighting fires or something, to go racing as fast as you can, drive like a maniac, and be an all around menace. Please tell me this isn't true...:nono;
i take offense to that :( i do not use it as a "guise", i stay at 10 over max to get to the crew hall for most calls, the only exception being a code blue, aka. cardiac arrest, in which case i get to the crew hall as soon as physically possible, though i do keep my speed within reason, i don't want to be another call :lol:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts