SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 9-5 with two, possibly related problems. First, sometimes the idle drops and the engine almost stalls out when I am sitting at traffic lights. It has never actually stalled, but sometimes the engine does bog down quite a bit for a moment or two. Second, at times when I am at highway speed, the engine surges and the turbo gauge jumps all over the place. It seems to happen only when I am trying to maintain my speed. If I accelerate or let off the gas, it doesn’t happen. I figured the first problem was just a vacuum leak, but the second problem made me think there is a problem with the O2 sensor or something. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I would check my vacuums first, check the three going from the BPC to the turbo/ turbo wastegate and you may try capping the top hose if you have not already done so, if the check valve is bad it can cause a surge and it does no harm to just cap it.

Is it warm where you are the load should bog a little if your high speed fans are running with the a/c but typically it shouldn't get to an almost stall point though a vacuum could cause it to do that as well, I have also seen a CPS cause surging prior to a no start failure but I usually go for the vacuums first lol.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Check the that the wastegate rod is connected if the clip broke off; as well as the vacuum lines and hoses at the BCV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would check my vacuums first, check the three going from the BPC to the turbo/ turbo wastegate and you may try capping the top hose if you have not already done so, if the check valve is bad it can cause a surge and it does no harm to just cap it.

Is it warm where you are the load should bog a little if your high speed fans are running with the a/c but typically it shouldn't get to an almost stall point though a vacuum could cause it to do that as well, I have also seen a CPS cause surging prior to a no start failure but I usually go for the vacuums first lol.
OK, so here is what I found. There is a T junction just off the top BPC hose, and the hose comming off the junction is torn. I think it is part of the EVAP system. It looks like there may be a valve in that hose just before it turns toward the firewall. It is a blue plastic part. Any idea what part that is? I think I can hear some hissing comming from that area, so there might be a leak there as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts