SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
think im leaking oil :/
it *coud* be the power steering leak, but as far as i can tell the origin for the oil leak is to far away from the power steering pump for that to be possible.

here is the origin i think, that big drop under the pulleys above the oil tube. what could it be?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
lol your photo looks twisted

I'd say it's your front crank seal/ oil pump o ring leaking.

They harden over time and shrink, resulting in a lot of oil splashed about the firewall side.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That might be the oil pump o-ring or front crankshaft seal. Both are located behind the pulley. Here are some instructions about replacing them: http://townsendimports.com/Web/engine_folder/front_crank_seal900.htm

The large bolt holding the crank pulley requires either a 27mm or 30mm socket, depending on the year of the car. (check the link above) If your car has air conditioning, you should remove the extra pulley (for the air conditioning compressor belt) that is bolted to the crank pulley. Then you can more easily access that large bolt. For many people, they have to shorten their 27mm or 30mm socket to have enough clearance to loosen that large bolt. I used a grinder to shorten my socket.

I attach vice grip pliers to the outer edge of the flywheel to keep the engine from turning when I loosen or tighten the large crankshaft bolt. The engine can't turn because the pliers become wedged on the transmission case or starter motor.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
could be a rocker gasket leaking allthe way down the back...clean it all off, run the car a day or two and then try and see where the leak starts from??

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
That leak could be anywhere around the back of the engine. Could even be the valve cover. As 16saabs says, clean it all off with a water-washable engine cleaner, spray type is best. Hose it it clean. Drive for a day or two, or even less and see where it's coming from.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Ok, thanks all!!
I'll start with cleaning it all off and check the origin. Can I use break cleaner spray here??
Brake cleaner is a spirit cleaner and not water washable. It may do the job but you will need a lot of it. Best to use a proper water washable engine cleaner available from any auto shop. You may need a brush on heavy deposits although it normally works without. Best to apply when the engine is warm. Leave for 10-15 minutes. Hose off with water. Don't spray directly at electrics, ie ignition components.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Purple Cleaner works best on engines, but it's hard on aluminum with prolonged exposure. Have the engine warm (not hot), spray liberally, use a parts cleaning brush to help, rinse with water (spray nozzle to blast the chunks off), repeat as necessary.
This method is unbeatable - you will be amazed at the results.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Why not just monitor all oil levels until you see a disturbing drop in one or another?
If you don't lose a lot of oil between services, who cares?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts