SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have noticed an oil leak. Normal for a Saab. Except it's the transmission oil. It seems to be coming out from the flywheel cover (I can see oil trailing out of the timing hole and a small weep hole that's lower and on the driver side). It only seems to lose a pint of fluid tops, so I'm not too sure as to why this would happen. Could it be a cracked case? Or just a worn out seal? I'm so confused.

P.S. Is the flywheel cover supposed to be made out of plastic? That seems so wrong in so many ways.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
in reverse order...

yes it is made to be plastic, no nothing it wrong with it. and take it off and look where its coming from and you may have a better idea ;) its only 4 or 5 bolts to get off. the fact that its coming out the timing hole isnt a surprise, anything that ends up contacting the flywheel/clutch assembly gets flung in every direction. so take a peek and let us know what you see.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
the cover is only there to stop wires/plumbing or mechanics fingers from rubbing on the flywheel or anything dropping in there.

If its oil then its likely to be leaking from something above (round the dissy/cam cover and running down), or from the crank seal behind the flywheel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My problem is similar. After having the clutch replaced I started noticing puddles of fluid under my car. The fluid was clean and clear. The only clean fluid in my car is in the gear box and the break fluid.

The repair guy said it was oil and changed a gasket somewhere on the engine. As soon as left the shop and parked at home, the same puddles appeared. I traced them to the exact spot you mention. I'm taking the car back next week.

Here is what my research found. It may help you.

If your clutch pedal is on the floor, and fluid is leaking, your slave is probably busted. Depending on where the leak is coming from, you may have a busted seal.

Here is a note from another forum

"A clear or slightly brown fluid toward the middle/front area of my Saab generally indicates that there is a problem with the clutch slave cylinder. Clutch slave cylinder leakage can be seen coming from the bottom of the transmission just above where the engine & transmission comes together. There is a small opening where the flywheel teeth can be seen. Leakage can be seen from this area."

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
The important thing is to keep filling the gearbox with oil :lol:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that's all I can do. I keep filling it when it's a quart low, and let it leak out. Oddly enough it only leaks when it's cooling after a long warm drive. I'm also loosing coolant, but have no puddles of coolant under the vehicle, and do not have milkshake oil.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Wekesa said:
My problem is similar. After having the clutch replaced I started noticing puddles of fluid under my car. The fluid was clean and clear. The only clean fluid in my car is in the gear box and the break fluid.
Don't forget that DOT brake fluid is a VERY good paint stripper...

·
Registered
888 Posts
Check the o ring under the input shaft in the front, under the wire strap. These often have a crimp in them when re installed. Also check the gear shift input shaft seal. Both of these problems will cause rapid leaks until it is down about a quart. I have seen and fixed both, they would be my first suspects.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would love photo locations of those two items. You could even use the photos on that one online parts dealer. They have part breakdowns of everything on the car pretty much, and could be perfect for pointing out these photos.

Sidebar - I was thinking of fixing my heated seats with new components, but this would probably be extremely expensive. Maybe I could get some of those heating pads they use to heat tiles in bathrooms in homes. Who thinks they would work and wire into the thermostat?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Saw you rollin down M-21 a few times. I would be careful when monkeyin with the heated seats. I've read a few people here have been subject to smoldering seats. Seems like a testy system. my guess is that the tile heaters would either draw to much (or the car would not provide enough) current. Plus isn't house stuff 120a/c?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, that's me, well, if it's black and has no side molding but still retains bumper extensions, it's me. If it's really loud, it's probably me since my mid muffler rotted off and I lost the rest of the pipe back. Talk about straight through cat-back systems. Also, if the inside looks like I got it out of the local dump/scrapyard, then it could be me as well. I did get it from a scrapyard, and don't want to clean it, as then the field mice wouldn't have a home. Don't worry, they've taken a liking to me, and frequently come up to me while driving to see if I have some sort of food. Thank god for the dollar menu at McD's, or else they'd never eat. I'm sure the fries will kill them eventually, as they are basically poison.

Not sure about what it runs on, as I haven't researched it, but I think home current is converted in the thermostat to dc, so it could possibly work...

I wouldn't mind keeping the system working on stock pads, as long as I could get new thermostats. I could just resolder them.

I don't know how to spell solder (you know, the metal stuff you melt to hold together wires).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SaabArrogance said:
Yeah, that's me, well, if it's black and has no side molding but still retains bumper extensions, it's me. If it's really loud, it's probably me since my mid muffler rotted off and I lost the rest of the pipe back. Talk about straight through cat-back systems. Also, if the inside looks like I got it out of the local dump/scrapyard, then it could be me as well. I did get it from a scrapyard, and don't want to clean it, as then the field mice wouldn't have a home. Don't worry, they've taken a liking to me, and frequently come up to me while driving to see if I have some sort of food. Thank god for the dollar menu at McD's, or else they'd never eat. I'm sure the fries will kill them eventually, as they are basically poison.
And for those of you that don't know me, that was (partly) humor. It doesn't have mice yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, as for the leak, it's not brake fluid, nor is it a clutch cylendar problem. It is transmission oil. It leaks from the inside of the transmission outward.

I repeat, it's NOT DOT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts