SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new to posting on here although I feel like I've read the entire site lol. I have an issue where I turn the car off and I hear a noise that I find hard to describe but sort of like metal grinding on metal intermittently (like a fan blade). I'm hoping this isn't an extreme issue as this is my daily driver, any thoughts on this? I can't seem to find a good thread on this.

List of other Problems:
1) I find that the car sputters when I let off the throttle after revving the engine.

2) My exhaust has recently increased significantly in loudness, I believe I have this pinned down to the flex pipe issue I've read about, could this be causing the other issues?

A little more info:
I've had the vehicle for about a year now with ~115000 miles on it, manual trans, and I've just started having these issues in the past few days, since they started I decided to change the spark plugs (NGK laser platinum @ 0.039) which didn't help at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm in college and very, very low on funds so I try to avoid shops as much as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also sometimes when I go to start the car it cranks but doesn't turn over, I try again and it turns over no problem?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new to posting on here although I feel like I've read the entire site lol. I have an issue where I turn the car off and I hear a noise that I find hard to describe but sort of like metal grinding on metal intermittently (like a fan blade). I'm hoping this isn't an extreme issue as this is my daily driver, any thoughts on this? I can't seem to find a good thread on this.

List of other Problems:
1) I find that the car sputters when I let off the throttle after revving the engine.

2) My exhaust has recently increased significantly in loudness, I believe I have this pinned down to the flex pipe issue I've read about, could this be causing the other issues?

A little more info:
I've had the vehicle for about a year now with ~115000 miles on it, manual trans, and I've just started having these issues in the past few days, since they started I decided to change the spark plugs (NGK laser platinum @ 0.039) which didn't help at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm in college and very, very low on funds so I try to avoid shops as much as possible.
Does your car have the automatic climate control system? If so, I'd suspect the cabin temp sensor is the cause of the noise you hear after shutting down the car. Plenty in the archives here on removing and cleaning the thing.

There is a chance that the sputtering you're hearing is caused by the exhaust leak at the flex pipe.

Usually, the flex pipe rusts away where it's been welded to the exhaust pipes. You might get lucky and get a shop to weld up the hole/cracks.

Or, you can replace just the flex pipe with a generic. The SAAB uses a non-standard (in the US) pipe size so finding a direct fit can be tough. You can buy an undersized pipe and have an exhaust shop stretch out the fittings to size, or buy oversized and use metal shim material (brass sheets from a hobby shop or craft store)

Either way, generic exhaust pipe clamps can be used to secure the flex pipe to the rest of the exhaust.

There's always a chance one of the mufflers has blown out rather than the flex pipe. You'd really need to get the car up on stands and get under it to know for sure.

The mid muffler can be eliminated with a straight bit of exhaust pipe, if the problem is with the rear muffler, I'd either get a replacement from an on-line car parts house or have a muffler shop fit an after market.

Plenty of options with a variety of prices.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your car have the automatic climate control system? If so, I'd suspect the cabin temp sensor is the cause of the noise you hear after shutting down the car. Plenty in the archives here on removing and cleaning the thing.
Yes, it does I'll look into it and hopefully this is the issue although, I have not been using it. Been putting the top down.

Usually, the flex pipe rusts away where it's been welded to the exhaust pipes. You might get lucky and get a shop to weld up the hole/cracks.
That is what I was reading earlier today, I recently checked and looks like someone just put a straight pipe in place of the flex! And the welds do not look that great. I found a relatively cheap replacement on ebay $75 free shipping with the clamps. Hopefully it will fix the issue and I can get the car off the ground myself.

Thanks for all the info win_k!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reply try 2

So I replied to you yesterday but it didn't post? (I truly am new to the world of forums) So let's try again.

Yes, but I have not been using it, I've had the top down since this has started happening, also it's coming from outside the cabin near the front of the car. But I did look into this and although I do not hear any noise coming from the sensor I'm interested in cleaning it as my air doesn't work good if at all. So far the removal instructions I've found have been very vague but I will continue looking.

There is a chance that the sputtering you're hearing is caused by the exhaust leak at the flex pipe.

Or, you can replace just the flex pipe with a generic. The SAAB uses a non-standard (in the US) pipe size so finding a direct fit can be tough. You can buy an undersized pipe and have an exhaust shop stretch out the fittings to size, or buy oversized and use metal shim material (brass sheets from a hobby shop or craft store)

Either way, generic exhaust pipe clamps can be used to secure the flex pipe to the rest of the exhaust.

There's always a chance one of the mufflers has blown out rather than the flex pipe. You'd really need to get the car up on stands and get under it to know for sure.
When I lay next to the car while it's running it sounds like its coming from the mid/front are where the flex pipe SHOULD be. But it looks like the previous owner had it removed and put a solid pipe in its place (Check out the pictures). Also looks like the welds are cracking although I'm not a welding expert (See other pictures) which is probably why Saab used flex in the first place...

Also I know a lot of automotive engineers as I am an engineering student at Kettering University (Formerly General Motors Institute) and I had someone tell me that sputtering does not mean anything is wrong? I do not see how this can be.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts