SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
New to this forum so forgive me if I screw up any rules.
Well here is the issue, got an '04 9-3 linear, 94000mi on it, 5-speed. Engine cut out on highway in rush hour traffic and in 96 degree heat, not fun. Started back up, ran for a couple seconds, ran rough and died. Waited a little bit until the tow guy showed up, about an hour, did the same thing, started up a couple seconds, died. Got it home, tried again, the same thing happened, this time "Stability Control Failure" popped up on the dash screen and engine light stayed on. Checked all, and I mean all fuses, good. Checked spark, good. Plugs looked good. Got dark so tried again the next morning thinking it just needed to cool down. Next morning, still no start and same message on screen. Checked for codes, none. Engine light still on. Checked fuel pressure, none. I assumed it was the fuel pump but wanted to do a little more digging. Tested the fuel regulator, good. Tested the fuel relay, good. Read on here the CPS goes bad around this amount of mileage, swapped it out, still dead. Sprayed some starter fluid in the intake, started up. So after some more reading I concluded considering the symptoms, and not hearing the pump run it was the fuel pump, replaced it, still no start, no fuel pressure etc.. But this time "Theft System Failure" popped up on the screen along with "Stability Control Failure." I did disconnect the battery while removing the pump. Powered the pump at the plug by the strap mount direct from the battery, it pumped gas, pulled the line and watched fuel come out. Checked the relay again, good. Checked the terminals at the relay plug with test light, don't have a constant 12v anywhere, key on or off. The light did come on quick when the pump was supposed to prime at key on. Couldn't even jump the pump at the relay plug to run it. Checked for ground, good. Pulled apart around the fuse panel to look for any melting or corrosion, looked good, pulled the fuse panel with the fuel pump fuse F2 in it, looked good. Read on here to check the grounds under the battery, good. So i started checking the ECM. I'm not the best when it comes to car computers. But there is 12v at both terminals of plug A, pins 3 and 20, and pin 51 has ground. I assume if this is true then the ECM must not be communicating to the relay to run the pump.
Sorry for the long post, but I figure the more you know the easier it will be to help. So what do you guys think?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
You need a tech2.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kind of figured that...luckily I might have access to one through a friend of a friend. Anything specific I should look/test for?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ya, a Tech2 is needed to read the vehicle correctly. Were you looking at the right fuel pump relay? On the passenger side kick panel?

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
Have the tech2 read all DTCs. List them here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well no go on borrowing a tech 2. If it is the ecm, can't afford to have it towed and diagnosed also. Is there any other diag took that might work? Otherwise I'm screwed.

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
A tow and diagnose is about the cost of buying a tech2. Do you plan to keep the car? Might as well buy one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will there still be codes even when the battery was disconnected for longer than a day? Had to do the pump in two days because of work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Once you remove the battery terminal, it'll erase the codes. But of course, if the problem is still there, the code will return right away.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Tech 2 might give a better answer, unless its a pump or pump circuit related.
U said the light comes on one second when u first turn the ignition (i assume thats terminal 86 on the fuel pump relay) did u try to crank the car while the light is still connected ? It should turn constantly ON while cranking.
By this u test control side.
However, u said there is no constant power at any key position, meaning the relay will not transfer any power to the pump any way.
For that u need to check the power distripution circuit for terminal 87.
Is fuse 2 in the main engine fuse box supplied with voltage while ingnition ON ?
Dod u have power at connector H24-2 pin 1 (grey connector onfront of the battery? ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tech 2 might give a better answer, unless its a pump or pump circuit related.
U said the light comes on one second when u first turn the ignition (i assume thats terminal 86 on the fuel pump relay) did u try to crank the car while the light is still connected ? It should turn constantly ON while cranking.
By this u test control side.
However, u said there is no constant power at any key position, meaning the relay will not transfer any power to the pump any way.
For that u need to check the power distripution circuit for terminal 87.
Is fuse 2 in the main engine fuse box supplied with voltage while ingnition ON ?
Dod u have power at connector H24-2 pin 1 (grey connector onfront of the battery? ?
Yes the light was steady at terminal 86 while cranking the engine. Fuse 2 did have power with key on. And I will check for power at H24-2 pin1 and the power distribution circuit for terminal 87. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No power to pin 1 on h24-2 key on or off. Gonna try to check the power distribution circuit for terminal 87 now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gonna double check that...after looking at the wiring diagram I think I was on the wrong side of the plug

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I double checked pin 1 of H24-2, had 3v to .05v the few times I checked it, it kept going down each time, key on and off. There is power at the fuse. So I still have to check the wiring between the fuse and H24-2. Started checking the power distribution circuit for terminal 87 of the fuel pump relay. Terminal 87 goes to H24-2 pin 23, have ground on that side of the plug. Also have ground on the other side of the plug that goes to the heated O2 sensor relay (R3) in the main fuse box in front of the battery, have ground at terminal 86 and 85 of that relay. Terminal 87 also goes direct to the fuel pump. Checked the engine side of the plug by the tank, nothing, no power, no ground key on or off. Terminals 85 and 30 of the pump relay have constant ground. But looking at the diagram it looks like terminal 30 should be powered and 87 should be grounded. Terminal 87 has nothing. So I am thinking somewhere between fuse 2 and terminal 30 of the relay is my problem. Am I right thinking this, I was never the best at diagnosing electrical problems. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Some of things u mentioned did not make sense, did u remove the fuel pump relay and made the tests on th conncetor side while the relay is removed !?
If u did this while ignition ON:
30 : 12v
87 : ground
85 : ground
86 : 5 or 12 (i cant remember) for one second then nothing.
If u did this while crancking:
Same except 86 will be constant voltage.

And again, if anything doesnt check out as above, disconnect the battery positive cable and both ECM connectors, supply voltage to terminal 87 on the fuel pump relay connector and check for fuel pressure then.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts