SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2002 9-3 SE and I'm looking to put significantly bigger brakes on it. It currently has a JZW Stage 4 tune (which is absolutely amazing, I would highly recommend it), however I soon hope to build up the engine significantly, and the only thing more important then speed it stopping!! Consequently I want to put larger brakes on...Any ideas? I want to go larger then stock viggen brakes. Thanks for any advice!!

-chris

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
It doesn't specify on the page, however if you want to see some real power...check out JZW's car...here's the dyno graph:

http://jzwtuning.com/graphs.html
johns car is not the fastest in the US, but thats a moot point.

are you on stock brakes or at least have upgraded pads? you could move up to 308mm fronts, thats aout the best you can do without going fully custom.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never said that his car was the fastest, I said it was exhibiting some impressive power. And personally I'd rather say my car had 700+ bhp, over a quarter mile time. As for my brakes they are completely stock, so I'll look into some 308s. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
308's are just viggen brakes. they have a different caliper carrier, which is usually the hardest part to find.

i have some things in the works, but have kinda gotten pushed aside due to other priorities, otherwise i would have a better solution.

·
Registered
312 Posts
this?

Hi,

I have a 2002 9-3 SE and I'm looking to put significantly bigger brakes on it. It currently has a JZW Stage 4 tune (which is absolutely amazing, I would highly recommend it), however I soon hope to build up the engine significantly, and the only thing more important then speed it stopping!! Consequently I want to put larger brakes on...Any ideas? I want to go larger then stock viggen brakes. Thanks for any advice!!

-chris
this is what I use: 336mm front 6 pot & 330mm rear 6 pot from WP PRO BRAKES, with free floating discs.

They really stop the car (Maptun Stage 4+)!
Lucian

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Upgrade to the 308mm fronts and 300mm vented rears. Will stop a true 450hp car plenty. Yo should run the right pad compound for the intended use also. Street pads don't do so well with track abuse. Track pads are not fun cold.

Make sure you have spare parts lined up for whatever big kit you put on if you decide to waste the money there. I found it very difficult to get the right spares for my WP kit so it is on the shelf.

New project car has real AP brakes. Very nice but quite overkill for street 225s The tires are the limiter not the brakes.

This is based on my actual experience not reading on the forums..

johns car is not the fastest in the US, but thats a moot point.
The truth :lol: If only SAE correction worked at the dragstrip too. :nono;
http://www.dragtimes.com/Saab--all-Drag-Racing.html

·
Registered
312 Posts
^this

As usually, Nick is right!
The Viggen 308 front /300mm back setup with Brembo directional slotted discs and some good pads will stop almost any street/daily drive Viggen.
Things will be different with extended track sesions... Some serious big brakes (both in terms of calipers and free floating rotors) will help dissipate heat and grip under repeated hard braking, so this is another story. AP Racing, Brembo Gran Turismo, Stoptech, Rotora, Willwood are the main names in racing (that come in my mind).
For street looks, there are other options, such as WP Pro, XYZ, D2, all with pros and cons (price, performance, reliability, spare parts availability, s.o.)
Retrofiting other cars calipers and rotors might work (Porsche brakes being the most used).
BUT, since brakes mean SAFETY and SECURITY, your and others life and properties depending on them working best, it's not such a good idea to jump for a cheap BBK!
Unfortunatelly, Saabs don't have so many aftermarket BBK as other brands (BMW or Audi, or japs, to name few).
What I can say is my WP Pro BBK kit really pays every dime :)

P.S. Nick, would you reconsider my request for that WP used kit? I already have spare discs and pads, so it would be a pitty to let it collect dust on the shelf :)

On a more thread line, I will start a thread about BBK for Saabs... With pics, of course!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. av dumitrascu I like the brakes you've suggested i think I'll look into those...They look quite sharp and most certainly will do the job!
hmmm....
I didn`t suggested any BBK...just some personal experience, because I had the Genuine Saab Viggen 308/300 and works absolutely great for a JZW Stage 3+ Viggen.
Regarding the WP PRO BRAKES, I myself find this product great, but you better check and double check about the performance of this kit (better check on BMW forums, there are guys with M3 using it, maybe they can give you some track insights).
If you decide for this kit, let me know (PM)... :)
Lucian

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had a AP Racing kit on my SPG & I loved it.... no comparison to the stock C900 brakes with good pads. The car stopped many times better then my viggen so when I sold the SPG I kept the brakes for my viggen. Unfortunantly I haven't installed them yet so I do not know how it will stop compared to OEM viggen frot brakes & the 300mm rear kit. Presently stopping power is just ok compared to my SPG. My viggen doesn't have close to the power at 100mph+ speeds which is important to me since I do track time.

When my brakes were totally stock (except better pads) it wasn't difficult to get the brakes to smoke after a 15-20minute session however they never got to the point of fading. I also wasn't on a track known to be hard on brakes...... The HP & chassis of my viggen were also stock at the time vs today having new spring/shocks & Nordic/Nick stg4 ecu.

If you do not plan on tracking the car a BBK like others state might not be the best choice not only due to the costs of the kit but like Nick stated being traction limited. Also due to being limited on what wheels you can use since most 335+mm kits do not fit behind the majority of 17in wheels but do fit behind all 18in rims further adding to the cost.

In another week or so I will finally throw my brakes on my viggen & will have a better idea how it works on the street.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I thought they were cool when I put the kit on my car back September of 2006. :roll: Gone maybe 5k miles on them before the cracks in the holes and hat wear started bothering me. I got my set for cheap since they were trying to get into the saab market but I didn't drink the koolaid so they went to other companies.. ;)

Stay with the top tier real ones.. Brembo or AP.

You need better than 225 140 treadwear tires before you even wast the money on big brakes. Sure the pedal pressure drops with the small pistons but that does not equal better stopping.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have about 6K miles on my AP's & I purchased them used. In those miles I beleive 6-10 drivers schools and the previous owner used them on a highly modded 9K aero. He used them on track events in montana & is a Porsche club instructor..... the rotors are as good as new

My SPG's tires were toyo ra-1 225-40-18 & their treadwear was either 40 or 60, once heated very difficult to lock up under 60mph, the rear end would usually lock up before the front. I just ordered new tires for my Viggen & they are the dunlop direzza z1's. 225's with a treadwear of about 200..... definantly will not have close to the grip the RA-1's had

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
What would be a good upgrade for an '08 Aero SS ? Would just upgrading pads make much difference ? I'd also like to go with SS brake lines and DOT5 fluid, but I don't want to ruin my warranty and extended warranty. I do tend to sometimes, LOL, hit triple digit speeds, and would like to have great brake performance and feel, the stock brakes are not to bad though, I've been impressed with them, especially during the 2009 D/FW TOY RUN:cheesy:.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
the problem with philips method is what i am running into, and that is designing/making the adaptor bracket.
Thats no problem. We have done a few. Just make sure to use aluminum and not the cast steel boat anchor that the WP uses. Email me. I might have the calipers here on the shelf. Bunch of different porsche calipers I have collected over the years. If you use a factory rotor the tend to be a little more outboard with the big fat calipers limiting wheel selection. Or like int he case of the APs with the Borbet wheels on the red -94 it takes extra spacer that makes the tires rub when lowered.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Thats no problem. We have done a few. Just make sure to use aluminum and not the cast steel boat anchor that the WP uses. Email me. I might have the calipers here on the shelf. Bunch of different porsche calipers I have collected over the years. If you use a factory rotor the tend to be a little more outboard with the big fat calipers limiting wheel selection. Or like int he case of the APs with the Borbet wheels on the red -94 it takes extra spacer that makes the tires rub when lowered.

I have an idea and am emailing you too.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Nick, thanks for your answers regarding my exhaust. I may tune later, I just don't want any warranty denial issues(which was bogus by the way)like I experienced with my low mile almost new '06 WRX, that cost me a lot of money.

I love the sound of the V6 Turbo, so I want turn up the volume a little bit, and maybe make it sound even sweeter, and maybe gain a tiny bit of power in the process. I assume there is a warranty on the Simons exhaust, and what would it cost to have it installed at your fine shop ? And I am also interested in upgrading my brake pads, and going with SS lines if you recommend it.

Regards,
Richard

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.