SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some spare time this afternoon after changing my oil while a friend was assembling his motor, so I took the chance to port out my throttle body elbow transition and clean my charge pipes. A bit of a case of making up something to do on your car when someone else is working on theirs.

The stock piece is really quite thick with a very sharp edge. Mine was just as bad if not worse than the pics I've seen of others:

Finished product:

Went for a quick spin afterwards, seems to have made a tiny difference. For a free mod, worth the hour or so if you're bored sometime.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I tried this and all I managed to do was clog all my grinding stones for my dremal. What did I do wrong? I want to just buy the one from Nick but I wont because he doesn't give you the reducer you need, he should really through that in I think.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Corn Cob said:
I tried this and all I managed to do was clog all my grinding stones for my dremal. What did I do wrong? I want to just buy the one from Nick but I wont because he doesn't give you the reducer you need, he should really through that in I think.
Use a Carbide Burr. The burr will fly through it like butter.

The aluminum is soft and melts when it gets hot, and clogs the stone. Those bits are for harder metals. You can also turn down the speed on your dremel.

good luck, Mark M

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
The sanding drums are great once you've gotten most of the metal carved away and want to make the last of it nice and smooth and shiny. I was amazed at the improvement in throttle response this little mod did back when I did mine.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Good work - that transition looks very nasty. Did you notice any performance difference? Is it possible that the turbulence this creates has an effect on the intake temp sensor?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Drew'sSaab said:
not to sound stupid...i havent done this mod yet..but what exactly did u grind down and port out?
In the third pic. you can see that he ported the inside of the pipe.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Shirozina said:
Good work - that transition looks very nasty. Did you notice any performance difference? Is it possible that the turbulence this creates has an effect on the intake temp sensor?
The mod mostly makes the throttle response a lot smoother. There really isn't a performance benefit.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I remember when this was the rage to do, about 3 years ago. Glad someone brought it back up and ressurected it. It did help smoothe out the throttle response, and agreed worth every bit of time to do it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I used a die grinder and carbide burr for the initial shaping and then follwed with a flapper wheel in my dremel for final finishing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Drew'sSaab said:
not to sound stupid...i havent done this mod yet..but what exactly did u grind down and port out?

u dont have the tools to do this drew...

i did this during the summer and i cudnt even feel a difference....but i do get a weird air flow sound when i let off the throttle at lower rpms...prob cuz its not a perfect circle...gonna do it again once i get everything up and runnin smooth

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I've done this but I augmented the work with other bits.

I ddn't just polish the lip, I took the cleaning about 3" in from either end...

This was combined with the drainpipe inlet...

And I worked on the throttle body too, note the waisted spindle for increased WOT area...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts