SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im getting around 21.6 regardless it be driving around town or on long distance trips... what can i do to improve this... FPR, fuel filter, and i hope it's not a fuel pump because that would just be a P.I.T.A... what would you guys suggest doing?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Does your car get to operating temperature? If your thermostat sticks open the car will never reach operating temperature and therefore run on the preset fuel values.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my thermostat is new... as far as 02 sensor's... do i just need to clean them or fully replace? and do both of them need to be changed?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
They are cheap enough so just replace the front one. The 2nd one has no effect on the engine as it's just to monitor how well the CAT is working.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i change my plugs about every 7000 and filter i just cleaned... so ill try the 02 sensor... and go from there... thanks... if this doesn't work maybe ill do a fuel filter or something...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
O2 sensor governs your fueling for the majority of driving so it's the first suspect when MPG drops significantly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you simply replace it? Or can it be cleaned or checked. I had some alternator problems and the mileage dropped from 20-22mpg mixed city/highway to 15mpg. Now that the alternator's been replace it only up to 17-17.5mpg. And it's the same city traffic or on the highway according to the SID.

How an alternator can affect mileage is beyond me, though there was a direct effect. It would create overvoltraged and erratic voltages, so I guess it could throw-off the readings. How difficult to change by myself? They hosed me for the alternator swap-out....but I needed the car fixed and reliable.

.....And I couldn't stand the damn*d warning chimes any longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts