SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

i just picked up a 1995 900 SE Turbo w/192k a couple weeks ago, and i LOVE this car, its probably the nicest car ive owned and was CHEAP!

anyway, im fighting the handling. the car grabs ruts like mad, the car darts around, and it pulls to the right pretty good. i just had the car aligned and the tech set the toe front and rear to spec and told me there are no other adjustments that could be made. at any rate, this car drives like **** to be honest.

Front Driver (LHD)
Camber -1.40*
Caster 1.76*
Toe 0.08"
SAI 13.39*
Included Angle 11.99*

Front Passenger
Camber -1.33
Caster 1.06*
Toe 0.08"
SAI 13.42*
Included Angle 12.09*

Front Cross Camber -0.07*
Front Cross Caster 0.07*
Total Toe 0.16"

Rear Driver
Camber 1.99*
Toe 0.06"

Rear Pass
Camber -1.64*
Toe 0.06"

Rear Total Toe 0.12"

my rear camber and toe are well withing the specified range, but i know the front it not, its just not adjustable?

is this common? i sure hope not. just wondering if anyone can lead me to a possible solution.

Heres what ive heard will be better

Front Driver/Passenger Camber -1.00*
Rear Driver/Passenger Camber -0.05*

Front Driver Caster 2.5*
Front Passenger Caster 2.7*

Front Driver/Passenger Toe 0.05"
Rear Driver/Passenger Toe 0.06"

im thinking i need to take it to another place and sit there and make sure the tech does his job and makes my car drive better.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Try a different set of tires, if you don't have try putting fronts to back, then lefts to right, if all of a sudden the pull goes to left then it would be ****ed tires.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Toe in/out on the front is the only thing that's adjustable, unless you manually shim the rear hubs. Anything else requires replacement of the damaged part, such as strut, lower control arm, etc. You need to take the car to a Saab dealer or Saab Independant tech to check the alignment and determine what components are damaged. Once they do that, you can change them if you like and then get the car aligned again... Ron

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well ****, that it pretty retarded. i guess ill deal with it, i plan on replacing pretty much all the bushing with poly, doing a 6pt brace and probably lower the car with some eibachs and some bilsteins front and rear. also heard there is a 22mm sway bar for the rear that supposed to make this thing feel real good. also wondering if swapping out all the motor mounts for poly and doing a rack bushing and brace will help.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
well ****, that it pretty retarded. i guess ill deal with it, i plan on replacing pretty much all the bushing with poly, doing a 6pt brace and probably lower the car with some eibachs and some bilsteins front and rear. also heard there is a 22mm sway bar for the rear that supposed to make this thing feel real good. also wondering if swapping out all the motor mounts for poly and doing a rack bushing and brace will help.
If you have bent suspension components bolstering up with other things would only make it worse...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^You want to do all this on a car that's 15 years old and has 192k miles on it? :confused:

THAT's what I call "commitment"!!! :cheesy:
sure, why not. my other hobbie is rock crawling, so im used to spending 15k on a $500 vehicle.

i figure it like this, i cant afford a $25k car, but i can afford to spend a couple hundred dollars at a time over a period of time and have something that will be pretty cool when im done.

along with the suspension stuff ive been looking at getting some stock take off wheels and tires from a SS cobalt, looking at a TD04-T18 turbo, 3" SS turbo back catless, intake, BOV, bigger intercooler, larger piping, ECU tune. hell, this is a nice car, might as well make it fun too, plus i cant leave anything well enough alone.

·
Registered
349 Posts
sure, why not. my other hobbie is rock crawling, so im used to spending 15k on a $500 vehicle.

i figure it like this, i cant afford a $25k car, but i can afford to spend a couple hundred dollars at a time over a period of time and have something that will be pretty cool when im done.

along with the suspension stuff ive been looking at getting some stock take off wheels and tires from a SS cobalt, looking at a TD04-T18 turbo, 3" SS turbo back catless, intake, BOV, bigger intercooler, larger piping, ECU tune. hell, this is a nice car, might as well make it fun too, plus i cant leave anything well enough alone.
I don't think the governator will approve of your catless exhaust in cali.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i only have to smog it every two years and im smogging it next month, so game on for 2 years haha.
Don't rely on that... my old 95 900 was called to a Test Only station on an annual basis. Same with my 1991 Porsche 928 S4.

They are not THAT stupid in Sacramento...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't rely on that... my old 95 900 was called to a Test Only station on an annual basis. Same with my 1991 Porsche 928 S4.

They are not THAT stupid in Sacramento...
youre right. . . .good thing i dont live in sac huh? haha. . . .plus, i know people who know people etc. lets just say ive never had a vehicle not pass smog.

on another note, i noticed tonight that under hard acceleration that the car will intermittently lose power, im guessing to waste gate operation, but it just feels weird to have the car pull hard and then all of a sudden decelerate, then accelerate again. i think that a MBC+A might help for now, they are cheap enough. but is there a way to check for proper waste gate operation? obviously its working, but is it at the correct psi, atm, whatever? just wondering. . . . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts