SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new to us car has now accumulated about 1200 miles of mostly in town driving. For Father's Day, my family let me fiddle with the car (mostly without interruption)! Yes, I am an idiot.

Where the hell do you put a jack on this car to get it on jackstands?!?!? I wound up buying ramps to get under the car since my 3 ton jack just couldn't reach the reinforced zones near the engine or the gas tank.

Anyway, my primary goal was to improve the gas mileage and rough/high idle (01, 9-5 LPT wagon, 124.5k, auto). I had already replaced a few vacuum hoses that looked shot which improved the throttle somewhat. Still, it idles around 1100 rpm and can slowly walk up to 1800 rpm. The gas consumption is underwhelming at 13 mpg (almost all city). The wife is clear that this car needs the good stuff (91 or better), so low octane should not be an issue.

I worked my way from intake forward, ignoring my desire to install the new intake tube (must remember: fix first, upgrade later). Air filter is good so I left it alone. MAF was mostly clean and is now cleaner. TB was mostly clean and is now cleaner with new tube and intake seals (hard and square after 124k). Rubber bellows were clean and had no cracks. Plugs appeared fine with a white arm, though the base was black with carbon (if you are looking down on the plug, it's the outside ring around the electrode). I'm not a plug reader...is this ok? Replaced the plugs as a preventative measure all the same. Confirmed PCV6 is installed, hoses were clean and without cracks. Flushed the turbo line connected to the intake tract (it was pretty clean). Replaced one more line; all the small ID hoses (vacuum or otherwise) have been replaced. Every electrical connector I touched received a good dollop of dielectric grease. Zip tied a bunch of stuff where the original factory plastic support was cracked/broken. Finished with a new fuel filter.

Bottom line: idle is still rough and 1100 rpm. Consumption appears 10% better at 14.5 mpg. I was one disappointed guy after all this work.

So what else now or what have I forgotten? Do standard aftermarket scan tools allow you to adjust the idle or must it be a Tech2? I think the indie that sold us the car up'd it to combat the original rough idle due to vacuum leaks. Nice guy, probably well meaning, though at this point I would just like to solve this myself.

The following caught my attention while working around the car. I'll take a chance someone can comment on those as well.

One exhaust hangar broke from the muffler...can this be welded back onto the body?

The gap between the 2nd flex coupling and pipe (leading to muffler) was heavily coated w/ soot...does this mean there is an exhaust leak? Any chance I can JB weld the joint until it's time for a new (hopefully 3)" exhaust?

Both fog lights were broken away from their supports. I improved the existing zip tie repair...just live with it right?

My oil leak hasn't been treated. Looks like 1.5 qts in 1200 miles. It's an odd one as I could see oil on the underside of the intake manifold (looking up from the ground). Someone suggested a sleeve be applied to something. Since I would have thought gravity pulls the leaking oil down, how the heck is the intake oily???

Starting to get smoke at startup...turbo right?

Thanks for sticking with it if you reach the end!

·
Registered
70 Posts
You've checked everything except the oil's from what I can see.

Get them drained and some new stuff in see if that works ;ol;

As to jacking up? in all honesty? it says in the manual :cheesy: pretty much where you would with the emergency jack for the spare wheel,, other wise a block of wood and suspension arms or the chassis or use all of the above.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Where the hell do you put a jack on this car to get it on jackstands?!?!? Jack points are right behind front driver and passenger side, you will see it by the absence of the side sill on that point

Plugs appeared fine with a white arm, though the base was black with carbon (if you are looking down on the plug, it's the outside ring around the electrode). I see you Replaced the plugs as a preventative measure, Was going to suggest this but you already got it covered. Hope you replaced them with the proper NGK plugs :confused:

Confirmed PCV6 is installed, hoses were clean and without cracks. Flushed the turbo line connected to the intake tract (it was pretty clean). Replaced one more line; all the small ID hoses (vacuum or otherwise) have been replaced. Every electrical connector I touched received a good dollop of dielectric grease. Zip tied a bunch of stuff where the original factory plastic support was cracked/broken. Finished with a new fuel filter.

Bottom line: idle is still rough and 1100 rpm. Consumption appears 10% better at 14.5 mpg. I was one disappointed guy after all this work. How are you checking fuel consumption? Are you basing it off the SID display in the car? If so hold down the clear button until the display resets and start over. Willing to bet that the display has never been cleared and has a bunch of other factors hurting that reading and the system doesnt adjust to them or any changes unless it gets cleared

Do standard aftermarket scan tools allow you to adjust the idle or must it be a Tech2? Tech2 is the only way to adjust aside from t7 suite that I know of

One exhaust hangar broke from the muffler...can this be welded back onto the body? Yes, provided you have the proper welder and can do so without burning a hole in the muffler....All my hangers are pretty much shot but the mufler rest on them and doesnt make a lot of noise so for me I can deal with it until I get the funds to replace it

The gap between the 2nd flex coupling and pipe (leading to muffler) was heavily coated w/ soot...does this mean there is an exhaust leak? Any chance I can JB weld the joint until it's time for a new (hopefully 3)" exhaust? Anywhere there is soot there is a leak, could have been fixed but a good way to check is to block the exhaust and look/listen for leaks. JB can be a temporary fix

Both fog lights were broken away from their supports. I improved the existing zip tie repair...just live with it right? Zip Ties or duck tape :lol: can be your friend, many have used zip ties to fix broken mounts

My oil leak hasn't been treated. Looks like 1.5 qts in 1200 miles. It's an odd one as I could see oil on the underside of the intake manifold (looking up from the ground). Someone suggested a sleeve be applied to something. Since I would have thought gravity pulls the leaking oil down, how the heck is the intake oily??? Oil could be leaking from anywhere and as you drive the air pressure is forcing it back. I would clean it up, let the car run a bit and then check again for leaks. another thing, it Could be a bad oil pressure sensor which is known for leaking

Starting to get smoke at startup...turbo right? Pull the turbo cobra off and check for shaft play on the tubo, check side to side play as well as trying to push/pull the compressor wheel and if you got a lot of play then its time for replacement. Some people run it to the ground but if you ask me id rather fix it than get stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
121 Posts
a bad o2 sensor could be your problem. 90 bucks at autozone he told me to get it off ebay for cheaper i have yet to since my girls in the shop getting a whole new motor =*( but hope this helps. btw if you see a lot of soot you could have a clogged cat etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts