SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey out there; I recently upgraded from a 900SE to a Turbo X, and just love it! ... however, when it gets started from cold, the brake pedal feels hard with poor operation ( feels as though there is no vacuum boost ) .. this occurs for a few minutes until the vehicle warms up, then all is well again. Has anyone else heard of this prob., and perhaps a fix?
I read in a ' lemon car guide ' in a waiting room that some early 9-3 cars had booster valve issues... Cheers. :eek:

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Yes there were some brake booster valve issues. I had mine replaced when the car was relatively new. My issue was the pedal would go to the floor once or twice when cold and have limited braking. Went away pretty quickly but never had the issue again after the booster valve was replaced.
Not sure if a "hard" pedal would indicate the part being the issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cosmicflash what year is yours and model?
That happened to my gf this morning said her brake pedal was completely on the floor while reversing and backed into a colum putting a crack on her bumper/peeling paint. Dealer is towing it on thursday to diagnose. It is a 2006 2.8L convertible with 25K miles.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Cosmicflash what year is yours and model?
That happened to my gf this morning said her brake pedal was completely on the floor while reversing and backed into a colum putting a crack on her bumper/peeling paint. Dealer is towing it on thursday to diagnose. It is a 2006 2.8L convertible with 25K miles.
Same year but SC. Same thing happened to me but a tree however I barely hit it. Once the car warms up after a minute it's fine.
Sounds like your gf is still in warranty so it should be taken care of.

And I think this issue is only the V6, not the 4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poor braking on cold start-ups.

Agree with Cos. I would inspect the brake booster check valve. Maybe just replace it to be sure.
Thanks, it's booked for a 25k service & Brake Booster Valve replacement on Wednesday, so hopefully all will be good....
** Interestingly, I find that if I hold my foot firmly on the Brake pedal for 5 seconds or so during these cold start-ups, then there are no problems at all, so perhaps that in itself could be pointing to that Valve... Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
brakes should still work whether there is vacuum there or not,they shouldn't fail completely because there is no vacuum...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brakes should still work whether there is vacuum there or not,they shouldn't fail completely because there is no vacuum...
Yes, correct statement I would think, on my car the pedal just feels hard, with reduced efficiency until the auto enrichment settles down.

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
thats right then,the pedal does go to a solid feel but the brakes still work,but you've really got to push down on the pedal..

the days before all this electronic stuff,possibly the same applies to test the servo was working properly was to pump the brake pedal until it went hard,keep your foot on the pedal,start the car,if the pedal dropped/went soft the servo was working...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dealer just called they have replaced the booster. Car is under warranty and dealer gave the round around for the rear bumper replacement. Placed a called to Saab so it should be covered. You would think they replaced a failed part and caused an accident, so they would just say ok and replace it.
Rear Bumper is cracked and paint peeling, I expect a full replacement at no cost. Regardless I will file with the nhtsa so others can see it, I'll try to get a scan of the replacement parts once I get the invoice also.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Dealer just called they have replaced the booster. Car is under warranty and dealer gave the round around for the rear bumper replacement. Placed a called to Saab so it should be covered. You would think they replaced a failed part and caused an accident, so they would just say ok and replace it.
Rear Bumper is cracked and paint peeling, I expect a full replacement at no cost. Regardless I will file with the nhtsa so others can see it, I'll try to get a scan of the replacement parts once I get the invoice also.
Oooh that's going to be tough I can imagine to get them to cover the bumper. That would be beyond their liability.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So Saab called and the rear bumper will be fixed/replaced, I will assume replaced with new since it has cracks on it, I'll make sure my gf insists on a new bumper.

Anyone else having this issue make sure to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My MY06 Aero SC does this too- as in brake pedal is hard, and I really have to push it with a significant amount of effort. It is like someone has been pumping the pedal, building up the vacuum pressure, but it resolves if I release the pedal momentarily, and then reengage.

It only happens occasionally, and only the first time I try to depress it after start up when it does happen. I figured it was the booster pump, but since it resolves immediately when i release the pedal I've never worried about it. And I have never put the pedal straight to the floor- that would alarm me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, correct statement I would think, on my car the pedal just feels hard, with reduced efficiency until the auto enrichment settles down.

TurboX - did the dealer fix (valve change) solve your problem? I'm having the same issue with my 2009 9-3 XWD 2.8T (which I believe is the follow on to the Turbo X) and the dealer initially hasn't even acknowledged that I have a problem. I posted my experiences in a New Topic before I finally found this thread.

Thanks so much,

Daniel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Martin - so they replaced you're entire booster assembly, not just the valve? I read the Defect Investigation Report on your model year with the Booster Assembly, but I've been trying to determine if Saab was taking any corrective action for people who've have the problem, in lieu of a total recall.

If you could *please* post that scan of the replacement parts, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Daniel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TurboX - did the dealer fix (valve change) solve your problem? I'm having the same issue with my 2009 9-3 XWD 2.8T (which I believe is the follow on to the Turbo X) and the dealer initially hasn't even acknowledged that I have a problem. I posted my experiences in a New Topic before I finally found this thread.

Thanks so much,

Daniel
Well, the Serviceman had spoken to Saab about the problem, and decided to "tune the issue out" whatever that entails, instead of replacing valves etc. :confused: Unfortunately it didn't help, so I am no better off. - I'll get it back to him sometime... maybe it will need the entire Booster replaced as Martin82 did? When I start from cold now I put my foot on the brake pedal and go straight in 'drive' while the seatbelts are going on. This lowers the RPM, and strangely seems to stop the hard pedal issue 9 out of 10 times. Weird.
I wonder if your car responds the same?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, the Serviceman had spoken to Saab about the problem, and decided to "tune the issue out" whatever that entails, instead of replacing valves etc. :confused: Unfortunately it didn't help, so I am no better off. - I'll get it back to him sometime... maybe it will need the entire Booster replaced as Martin82 did? When I start from cold now I put my foot on the brake pedal and go straight in 'drive' while the seatbelts are going on. This lowers the RPM, and strangely seems to stop the hard pedal issue 9 out of 10 times. Weird.
I wonder if your car responds the same?
Hmm. So your method is to start with the brake applied, then drive forward a bit? I'll try it - I notice my problem most coming out of a cold start, foot on brake, and going into reverse. Lasts for about a minute or so, or until I get moving along thoroughly.

In my mind, if you have to do anything to adjust RPM, the Electric Vacuum Pump, which is supposed to compliment the vacuum from the booster (right?..anyone?)..then your EVP must not be working properly. See the following:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...r=PE08005&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

This explains the problem I've been having perfectly. The only difference is I have a 2009 and this is for 2006-2008, but that may be because it was closed before the 2009 models were released.

The thing I can not figure out is if the design changes referenced that GM made (check valve changes) were actually made to any of the cars that had the problem. Given that three people have had accidents, however minor, this is definitely a problem that Saab needs to find an answer to. If the solution listed is the fix, then I'm asking my dealer to confirm my car is configured that way.

If this problem was to occur when I was in a tight space in a parking lot, I could very well end up bumping into someone else's car....how am I supposed to tell the insurance company "Oh..it's designed to that!!" (My dealer's initial response to my car's delay in braking ability....grrrr...before I found the linked report)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Faults with Brake Boosting EVP

Hmm. So your method is to start with the brake applied, then drive forward a bit? I'll try it - I notice my problem most coming out of a cold start, foot on brake, and going into reverse. Lasts for about a minute or so, or until I get moving along thoroughly.

In my mind, if you have to do anything to adjust RPM, the Electric Vacuum Pump, which is supposed to compliment the vacuum from the booster (right?..anyone?)..then your EVP must not be working properly. See the following:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...r=PE08005&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

This explains the problem I've been having perfectly. The only difference is I have a 2009 and this is for 2006-2008, but that may be because it was closed before the 2009 models were released.

The thing I can not figure out is if the design changes referenced that GM made (check valve changes) were actually made to any of the cars that had the problem. Given that three people have had accidents, however minor, this is definitely a problem that Saab needs to find an answer to. If the solution listed is the fix, then I'm asking my dealer to confirm my car is configured that way.

If this problem was to occur when I was in a tight space in a parking lot, I could very well end up bumping into someone else's car....how am I supposed to tell the insurance company "Oh..it's designed to that!!" (My dealer's initial response to my car's delay in braking ability....grrrr...before I found the linked report)

Hi Bodgetastic, and everyone
After being repaired in 2010 my TurboX has again developed this lack of Brake Boost on cold starts. The link you kindly provided does explain the issue well, and I wonder what transpired with your car.. any tips would be appreciated as I decide what to do this time - the service company who solved the problem last time no longer service Saabs, plus I didnt care for them much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a 2009 Turbo X and see this problem also.
On cold start, about 1/5 of the time. Causes a minor panic every time it happens, and potentially very dangerous.

Anybody come to a conclusion about what needs replacing?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts