SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone switched there bushing using the poly bushing from GS? If so how did it change your handling? I'm looking to tighten up or make my steering stiffer. I drive so what fast and after 80mph it feels like my steering is too loose or soft. So far I have changed my suspension to Eibach Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, and I'm running 205-50-16 Viking Saab Wheels. I have a 330 xi BMW and I just like that stiffer drive feel. I know there are totally different vehicles but if I can improve on my 1999 93 why not. Also, the hatch brace that GS has looks nice but I was wondering how doew it install. Whre do you attach the brace to under the rear speaker area? Is there a hole there or must I drill one. I believe I have to drill one behind the rear seat in the center but the other two have me puzzled. Oh, I also installed the 22mm rear sway bar and that did improve the my ride.

·
Registered
18,944 Posts
I would say that the next step is to install either a rack brace kit or a poly bushing for the big bushing end of the rack. It will make a significant difference.

Is the BMW on 17" wheels? That would add some control here too.

·
Registered
18,944 Posts
This is all IMHO...

I think 17" wheels and tires would make the biggest difference, but it's also the biggest investment, especially if you don't need tires right now.

All the other stuff would be incremental. Which would help the most is "IMHO", there are others.

Before I did the hatch brace I'd do the six point sub-frame brace. I think the front end is causing more of the feeling you get as opposed to the back end. The rear brace would be nice too if you can go for both but it's probably less noticeable except when you're pushing it. You could even do the upper strut brace for a little more rigidity.

Bushings will take some wiggle out of the front too, reduce a bit of the wheel shudder. Easy on the wallet if you can DIY.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Alot. I'll try the six point sub frame brace first. What you said makes sense because my issue is at the front end. I did have 17" wheels on my Saab but they did not feel like they were holding the road well enough at higher speeds. These were aftermarket wheels and that could have been part of the problem. So I went with 16" aftermarket wheels and they felt better but I still felt some wobble. Now, I changed the aftermarket 16" wheels and put on 16" Saab Viking Wheels and the car and it does feel better. The aftermarket wheels were universal and I had to use the plastic centering hub. IMO, I think because the center hub like on Saab Rims were not a exact fit, that may have caused some wobble. All the wheels were balanced properly and re-checked. I'll give a update once I install the six point brace.

·
Registered
18,944 Posts
Just to confirm... you're not getting "vibration" in the front from something like wheel balance, correct? You're just finding it a bit loose in the handling dept?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Mine has polybushings allround, steering camp, B6 shocks, 6 point subframe brace, polly engine and gearbox mounts, 17" wheels with Contis sport contact 3's hunter balanced. It was still a bit loose as you described until I recently had the front strut mounts replaced. When I did the pollybushings it just got a lot harsher with only subtle improvement in handling feel but the OE rubber was newish anyway so if yours is old and shot YMMV. Best place for polly bushings on these cars over stock rubber in good condition is the rear axle bushes as it stops rear steer and the engine and gearbox mounts as it prevents diff destroying wheel hop.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Has anyone switched there bushing using the poly bushing from GS? If so how did it change your handling? I'm looking to tighten up or make my steering stiffer. I drive so what fast and after 80mph it feels like my steering is too loose or soft. So far I have changed my suspension to Eibach Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, and I'm running 205-50-16 Viking Saab Wheels. I have a 330 xi BMW and I just like that stiffer drive feel. I know there are totally different vehicles but if I can improve on my 1999 93 why not. Also, the hatch brace that GS has looks nice but I was wondering how doew it install. Whre do you attach the brace to under the rear speaker area? Is there a hole there or must I drill one. I believe I have to drill one behind the rear seat in the center but the other two have me puzzled. Oh, I also installed the 22mm rear sway bar and that did improve the my ride.
There is a hole already there for the hatch brace under the speakers, you have to drill into the bottom one however. I kinda did everything all at once so it's hard to say what made a huge difference. However when I go to my stock suspension car (aside from 22mm arb, and rack brace), the whole difference in steering is very different. Not sure if overall handling is better, but the steering has much better feedback and feels more solid.

I have added 6pt subframe brace, poly control arms, poly front arb bushings with new links, new stanchion arms, new shock mounts, hatch brace. I only have bilstein shocks with stock springs however for the much needed ride height.

I also run grippy dunlop star specs spring to fall

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re

You might want to get the Viggen body kit as I believe it creates quite a lot more high speed downforce.This should give a more positive feel in high speed turns.I read the rear spoiler gives 40% more downforce than the stock one,Im not sure about the front one.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You might want to get the Viggen body kit as I believe it creates quite a lot more high speed downforce.This should give a more positive feel in high speed turns.I read the rear spoiler gives 40% more downforce than the stock one,Im not sure about the front one.
Good point! - also make sure that the 2 plastic panels under the front lip are in place as without these the front will go light at speed and become quite unstable.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I wouldn't bother with this one the stock downforce/lack of lift force is pretty good imo

·
Registered
18,944 Posts
I wouldn't bother with this one the stock downforce/lack of lift force is pretty good imo
Depends on what sort of speeds we're talking. The Viggen bodywork doesn't come in to play in terms of stability until something like 80mph... and the downforce increases really play in over 100mph. Below that it likely increases MPG, but likely doesn't change stability all that much.

The point about the shields is well taken. Others have reported lift issues without the front shields on.

·
Registered
1990 c900s > c900 Turbo
530 Posts
anyone got photos of their hatch braces? Im thinking of making my own and i want ideas?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts