SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my order in for a Turbo-X (#19 in the US) so while i'm waiting around anxiously I was curious what people recommend for polish wax for their Saab. I've used Mothers, but then I saw Zynol has products specific Saab products.

Thanks for any advice,

beren

·
Registered
358 Posts
Congrats and welcome ... perform a quick search and you will find a lot of dialog on this issue.

Do you have pricing information to share?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The base starts at 42,500. The add-on packages run about the same as with the other 9-3 models. So if you add on everything you're looking at about $46-47 and can start negotiating with your dealer...although with such a small number of cars available it is difficult especially this early.

The other problem is that if you have a trade in you really can't negotiate it now, but need to wait...anyone want a 2003 VW GTI-VR6 with 44K on it? :D

beren

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wax Suggestions

I researched pretty heavily, and found there are a few good options. I personally decided to use Zaino products. Not cheap, but really do work well. You should get this on as soon as you purchase, and it takes a day top-to-bottom. You have to wash, clay, wash again, apply a couple of coats of the polish minimum. However, you don't have to fuss much with it afterward - wash as normal, reapply the polish every 6 months. I love it.

I had to attend a charity event last June where most of the cars were BWW, Mercedes, and the like. I did up another coats of polish that morning and parked my SC Aero next to these high-rollers. I got several looks and compliments how nice the car looked.

·
Registered
611 Posts
TJN said:
I researched pretty heavily, and found there are a few good options. I personally decided to use Zaino products. Not cheap, but really do work well. You should get this on as soon as you purchase, and it takes a day top-to-bottom. You have to wash, clay, wash again, apply a couple of coats of the polish minimum. However, you don't have to fuss much with it afterward - wash as normal, reapply the polish every 6 months. I love it.

I had to attend a charity event last June where most of the cars were BWW, Mercedes, and the like. I did up another coats of polish that morning and parked my SC Aero next to these high-rollers. I got several looks and compliments how nice the car looked.
this is the not good advice at all.

You should not apply a single product to the paint of a new care. It is still extremely soft and needs roughly 6 months to cure. The worst things dealers do to new cars when they arrive is pressure wash them.

Let the paint cure and then you can apply a topper..

goto autopia.org if you wish to learn more about detailing and what to use.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good to see another autopia member here on the forums, but ya if you want to go expensive products, look into zaino or zymol stuff like that. But read around look at the click& brags on autopia. Also dont invest in a porter cable or rotary if you dont think you can handle it. Dont want to ruin your brand new paint.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not fo Zaino...

97 Aero said:
this is the not good advice at all.

You should not apply a single product to the paint of a new care. It is still extremely soft and needs roughly 6 months to cure. The worst things dealers do to new cars when they arrive is pressure wash them.

Let the paint cure and then you can apply a topper..

goto autopia.org if you wish to learn more about detailing and what to use.
"fraid I disagree with your disagreement. That is normally true but Zaino is different - it can be applied over new paint. Additionally, think of how long it takes from the time your vehicle is painted in Sweden to the actual time it reaches your possession - probably close to that time already.

Totally agree with the pressure washing, which is why you want to remove the gunk that accumulates during transit.

Read the Zaino site - they will take you through all the issues surrounding their product.

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
My dealer tried to tell me to wait 6 months before washing mine. It was already a year old according to the build date!:roll: Needless to say I ignored them is well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have read many good things about Zaino.
I have not tried it so I can't speak from experiance, but I do use Zymol all the time. I like the ease of use.I also like the way there is no white residue left behind.

I feel the key to a long term relationship with the paint on your auto proper care and wax, wax, and wax.
Buy any good quality wax, or system, and stick with a regiment and you will always admire your car.

·
Registered
437 Posts
ZAINO all the way.

I have a 2007 Black Aero. I tried a couple of things (complete polish kits) in the beginning to get rid of the spider webbing and MAJOR scratches from the dealers washing system.
upon advice from a buddy with a black show car, i bit the $150 bullit and bought a bunch of zaino stuff.
the products are a miracle solution. it took me 6 hours, but when done, allscratches and spider webbing completely gone. the paint looks like is is dripping off the car. I was skeptical, but wow. you will not be sorry. and I have not seen another product do to the paint what zaino does.
look at the pics on the zaino site. they are not doctored, and you car will look like that with no experience needed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Regarding the 6mo. wait before waxing or polishing. I think at one time this might have been true but most modern paint (SAABs included) is base/clear catalyzed which means that it goes through a pretty quick chemical hardening once applied and is safe to wax pretty much as soon as you receive it.

I do recommend autopia as a resource. I enjoy that site. I actually have a Porter Cable and some pads. For new cars I use Klasse AIO (applied by pc) followed by Klasse SG. These are old school european polishes and glazes known for their durability and ease of use. For the winter I top that with a coat of Collinite 845. Talk to 10 different car guys and you'll get 10 different methods so you have to come up with one that works for you.

I also recommend investing in some of that 3M masking tape that doesn't leave residue. I mask all my porus black trim with that when using carnubas to avoid staining.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
CaptinFocker said:
Good to see another autopia member here on the forums

another member here...great site. has been really helpful. speaking of, forgot to register for the weekly giveaway...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts