SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate these dang Pirelli's. Everyone said they wouldn't hold up, would wear uneven and handled really poor.

Unfortunately mine have tracked true, wore even and handled fair enough not to replace despite 19,000 miles. I was looking forward to getting new tires and these dang things just keep on running and handle acceptable. The Tire Rack did a comparison test years ago and they tested out OK. I guess the old technology is holding these donuts together.

I've noticed some other members getting good mileage out of Pirellis lately. Did they change the design or compound? Do other people not run them at the recommended inflation or drive them hard?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I consider the Pirelli P6 to be average tires. They are better than most of the lousy tires on ordinary cars but just average for tires that should be on a Saab.

Mine is only half worn at 20,000 mi. That's enough for me. I will be changing them Spring 2008. Possible replacement: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. I've never had Goodyears. I usually stick with Yokohama or Dunlops.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I'm with you. we have 14,000 mile and the damn tire look like new. I have been trying to talk the wife into 17", but thats not going well with these tires not even close to being worn out.... damn them.
they ride ok for an old man car. I like a stifer ride with less side wall flex. When I went from 15" to 17" wheels on my other car, it was like i put in a different suspension. rode much better with less body lean...

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eastcoaster said:

I'm with you. we have 14,000 mile and the damn tire look like new. I have been trying to talk the wife into 17", but thats not going well with these tires not even close to being worn out.... damn them.
they ride ok for an old man car. I like a stifer ride with less side wall flex. When I went from 15" to 17" wheels on my other car, it was like i put in a different suspension. rode much better with less body lean...
The Pirelli P6's "plow" a little in heavy cornering, but aren't the worst tires I've owned. After two good sets of Yokohamas, I got a bad set and am a bit gun shy. They were my favorite "value" tire for years.

Had some goodyear tripletreads that were great in snow and rain, but terribly noisey and dropped MPGs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had them on my 06 9-3/2.0t and got 30k out of them-barely, I think it has a lot to do with the heat down here in Florida. My father has them on his bmw up north, and they still look great at 26k. I would never get them again.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've had one set of Pirelli's on one of my 9000's and had the same experience. They were 50K tires but wore out in about 25K. Had the same experience with Goodyear Eagle RSA's on my NG900. The Michelins on my Volvo have gone 52K and still have decent tread left, probably will get 60K out of them.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Much depends on how you drive as well. If you frequently are aggressive off the line or travel at higher speeds it would affect tire life depending on the degree of speed and acceleration. If you drive conservatively then tire life and wear would be better. Remember our cars pull rather than push. I got about 25k out of the Continental Pro Contacts before they were spent. I replaced them with Toyo Proxes All season - about $650 for four installed. While quite different from the Conti's I can't really say they are better or worse. They seem worse in the winter but better performance. I had the Pirelli's on an 05 and had no complaints. They were the best in snow IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts