SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I purchased my 2004 9-3SS about 4 Months ago.

It had the basic ICM1 head unit (just buttons, no display) and 4 speakers.
I have since changed the head unit for the colour ICM3 bought from Ebay.

It has been fine for about 2 Months but tonight it started popping and jumping whilst playing a CD. This jumping only seemed to happen when the volume was turned right up.

I switched the car off, left it for a couple of hours and when I started the car again I have no sound from either the Radio or the CD player.

The unit Beeps when the search for new station button is pressed.

The CD player wont work properly, the disk is inserted but the head unit jumps back to Radio almost immediately.

The Track names are the same as the ones on the disk when it started jumping, it doesn't update (or read) the new disk when it is inserted.

The radio seems to tune in okay and display the station text, I just can't hear anything.

My car is still under warranty but I assume the Head unit wont be covered as I replaced it myself (but had the dealer Tech2 it to the car)

I'm kind of hoping the CD is goosed and hopefully the Amp is not in the head unit but by the CD player (there are no other AMps in the car, under seats or boot)

Please tell me the head unit is okay!!!!!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't promise you your unit is OK :confused: but- have you tried reset it (by removing fuse or disconnect battery)? That would be the first what I'd do. And, as you changed the units yourself IMO it would be good idea to recheck connectors, especially optical.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I don't think your ICM swap ruined the new unit (the ICM3). But it sounds like either the ICM or CD player is bad.

Hopefully you saved the ICM1. I would reinstall it and see what happens. Then there will be no issues with warranty.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys, the freaking thing seems fine today!!!!! WTF :eek: :eek:

All speakers work and the CD player works okay!
I still kind of think I had it too loud.

It does tend to start jumping if I have it too loud (the 4 speaker sound system IS the worst I have ever heard in a vehicle!! )

I am thinking I have been overdriving the AMP (if there even IS one!) which starts giving up the ghost after a while.

Doesnt explain the CD player issue. I guess I will have to listen to music quietly from now on.

Cheers :)

ps. I did indeed save the ICM1 unit Just in case. I didnt divorce it from the car so hopefully, if something does go wrong I can just fit it myself and not worry about the Tech2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts